Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok I am fairly new to linux. I don't know much but I am in love with it although I always seem to have problems. Ok so I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Two problems: Sound and Flash

Ok I am fairly new to linux. I don't know much but I am in love with it although I always seem to have problems. Ok so I have a Sound Blaster Audigy SE, and it is detected at boot, but I hear no sound, I tried messing with the volume, I enabled sound through the control center, but no sound. Here is my lspci readout:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset Host Bridge (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 12)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 12)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 (rev 12)
    00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB (Hub #1) (rev 12)
    00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB (Hub #2) (rev 12)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)
    02:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS
    02:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

I just not realized that it is detecting my Audigy SE as Audigy LS, so how do I fix that?

------------
    Also I cant get flash to install. The automatic install through the iceweasel plugin finder doesnt work and I haven't been able to manually install it because I cant find the mozilla install dir that the install keeps asking for, which I thought was /usr/lbin/mozilla. I am running off a CD by the way with the latest version.

thanks for any help.

Just Joined!
    regarding flash, i recommend just extracting the flash archive, and copying the plugin into the directory for your browser.

try /usr/lib/flashplugin (some distros symlink their plugin to this location, so it's easier for multiple browsers to share the plugin. makes updating easier, too.)

otherwise, /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox or /usr/lib/iceweasel

as far as sound goes, too much work for me to explain, you will probably need to blacklist crap

Just Joined!
    It wont let me write to any location >.>

Just Joined!
    ah, you will probably need root priviledges, ie. su or sudo

Just Joined!
    I am logged in as root, I set a root password already.

Just Joined!
    ah, i overlooked something. you are using knoppix, a livecd. that directory is probably mounted read only. if you want good support on a livecd, www.zenwalk.org - Ever tried zen computing? has a good one with flash 9 preinstalled. perhaps it might solve your sound issues as well.

Just Joined!
    I don't understand, I have installed flash and java before on this livecd. And the system should not be "read-only" it writes it to RAM so I should be able to write to it.

Just Joined!
    yeah, i figured it should be running from a ramdisk, but it being read-only is the only logical reason i could come up with for why a root account wouldn't be able to write to it

Just Joined!
    My brother who knows more about linux than I do showed me where the plugins are stored, and I realized that when I did install it through konsole it comes up there, but iceweasel tells me it is not installed when I tried going to a flash website, even though the plugins are in the correct folders. It is weird.

Just Joined!
    You should have only needed root privileges, however, use chmod 766 on the file and
    cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins
    or
    cp libflashplayer.so /home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins

The CD version can use the flash 9 and not the flash 10, BTW.
    So some sites that need a #10 is a no go.

alsa sound
    Use alsaconf to install the alsa driver snd-ca0106
    either configure alsamixer and alsactl store <card #> Check if you need Digital/Analog switch on.
    or config kmix
    gl

PS. Check out pclinuxos it can use the flash 10. Next year there's an '09 version coming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast