Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone how is it going? Anywho I have a question. I have been using Knoppix since 3.8 I believe and its always detected my Wifi on my Laptop last ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No WiFi in Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD

Hey everyone how is it going? Anywho I have a question. I have been using Knoppix since 3.8 I believe and its always detected my Wifi on my Laptop last distro I used was 4.8 I think and I downloaded the 5.3.1DVD and now..it wont see my wifi

Code:
    PC Wizard 2008 Version 1.87
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: Kei
    Organisation: Hewlett-Packard
    User: Kei
    Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
    Report Date: Friday 02 January 2009 at 11:05

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : HP 30D9

> Chipset : Intel GM965

> Processor : Intel Pentium T2330 @ 1600 MHz

> Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

> Hard Disk : Hitachi (120 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A ATA Device

> DVD-Rom Drive : JIPGJGF RK963C5A SCSI CdRom Device

> Monitor Type : SAMSUNG  - 15 inches

> Network Card : Atheros Communications Inc AR5006 family 802.11abg Wireless NIC

> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter

> Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1

> DirectX : Version 10.00

> Windows Performance Index : 3.0

***** End of report *****
    Basic summery of PCWizard 08. Nothing has changed at all So unless they changed the wifi detection I am just confused If anyone can help would like it. I use Knoppix for testing networks and getting info off comps and such and sometimes I don't have access to a wiredline. So if theres a driver I can add to the LIVEDVD or something or my U3Cruzier ThumbDriver that would be awesome.

Thanks

You'll need to install madwifi for the Atheros wireless card.

SourceForge.net: MADWIFI

Not positive if madwifi is in the Ubuntu repository, but you can check that first... will be easier. Or you can just install it from the link above... plenty of documentation on the proper install steps, just google search "atheros linux" or something to that effect.

Just Joined!
    I had Ubuntu on here once and used MadWifi (which was a pain to install) thing that just confuses me is Knoppix has always been one of the distros I never had an issue with until just now. Knoppix, SlackWare, Mint, SuSe all work "out of box" Though this version of Knoppix is not wanting to. So would I Install the Wifi drivers on the LiveDVD or would I need to put them on my USB drive and then Install via terminal?

Either should work...

or if ndiswrapper is included on your live CD it may be faster to just copy the windows driver (.inf) to root and run the following commands:

ndiswrapper -i driver.inf
    depmod -a
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    su
    ifconfig

it's really a six in one hand/half dozen in the other deal though... I don't use knoppix so i'm not sure what changes were made in the newer version you have... but after upgrading SUSE 10.3 -> 11.1 i had to mess around w/ madwifi for a bit before my atheros wlan card would work properly again. Distros are always making changes, not all of them are always for the better... the beauty of open source though is that we're not stuck with what we're given.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info I will test it out later on