Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, After reading about the draconian DRM to be put in Windows 7, I decided to give Linux a spin. I burned the latest version of Knoppix onto a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix not booting

Hello all,
    After reading about the draconian DRM to be put in Windows 7, I decided to give Linux a spin. I burned the latest version of Knoppix onto a CD-R, stuck it in, shut down the computer, turned it on, pressed 'escape' to get to the boot menu, selected my CD drive, and ta-daa! Vista booted up. What am I doing wrong here?
    Thanks for your support.

Hi and welcome to Linuxforums,
    You probably just need to go into the BIOS and set the CD drive as the first boot device. You want to boot straight from the CD and bypass the windows boot screen.
    If that fails then that probably means that you didn't burn the CD correctly.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    You wouldn't perchance know how to do this, would you?

I would try burning a New Image of your Knoppix downloaded iso and use this

The Official ImgBurn Website

to burn the Image to a cd. Just select burn image. It's for Windows so you should be fine. Then get into your bios like Bob said and change your boot order from hardrive first to cdrom first and your off to the races
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I got it, and I can't figure out how to connect to my network or access my hard drive. Can anyone help me here?

The network depends on a few things, is it a Wireless card? If so see this linky
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    Ethernet should work as long as the network card is detected. If you can't detect the network card then post the output of
    Code:
    sudo lspci |grep net
    Do you see the lilttle penguin on the taskbar? That's where you need to configure the network settings.

The HD should be showing on the Desktop, unless these are Windows partitions. Are they Windows partitions?
    post the output of this command and tell us a little bit about your system too.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    That's a lowercase L not an I.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Knoppix not booting

Boot·ing n. Advantage; gain; gain by plunder; booty. [Obs.] Sir. ... the user
    could set the boot order to that given above, and then insert a Knoppix Live CD
    in .... But the Laptop is not booting Any solution for this. why not booting?