Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
BTW, I did this Knoppix install by using SYSTEM TOOLS>Install KNOPPIX to flash disc but it picked the hard disc in error. I mention this because there is also an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BTW, I did this Knoppix install by using SYSTEM TOOLS>Install KNOPPIX to flash disc but it picked the hard disc in error. I mention this because there is also an option: Knoppix HD install. It comes up with a warning that it will create partitions and delete all info on the drive. I didn't do that for sure. It did whatever it is set to do to install on a flash, but did it on the hard drive.

I'm just not seeing that button that says 'remove Knoppix and put things back the way they were and boot Windows again...'

Quote Originally Posted by BrianN324
    I do have several Windows XP install discs for other machines. It occured to me that this might work just to fix something simple in the boot, as the "fixmbr" you mention. However, these netbooks have a special version of Windows XP so I'm not sure how it differs.
    fixmbr command rewrite Boot Loader in MBR and you can use Installation CD of any version of Windows OS. Fixmbr command is same in all Windows OS versions.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

More info

I didn't want to just let this item hang out there without noting that I've resolved this issue to some extent. This particular netbook (and some notebooks) apparently have a separate partition on the hard drive which can contain the OS install program, in this case Windows XP, and other utilities.

On this drive is a 4.88GB FAT32 partition noted as an EISA configuration) that does not have a drive letter, nor can one be assigned. You can see it in Disk Manager but you can't do anything with it. There are those that choose to copy it elsewhere and repartition the drive to reclaim this space, but I'm comfortable with it there, still leaving the C:/ NTFS partition at 144GB.

The install program is apparently set up to automatically start upon the first power up of the computer. It installs Windows XP and whatever peripheral and proprietary software the manufacturer has provided. It then deletes the install program files. Your recourse in case of some malfunction lies in the recovery program, and your option to create recovery discs (or maybe flash memory) separate from the computer.

In this case, using a regular Windows XP install disc to fix the mbr does not work, as it is not the same configuration used by this system. It did result in having the computer start up and it looked very close to being OK, but then automatically went into the recovery program. At this point the only options were to run a recovery to take it back to factory default or exit. If you exit, it reboots and you find yourself right back in the recovery program again.

Running the recovery program reinstalled everything, and although I would be starting from scratch to get the computer back to Windows XP, at that point it was my choice. Perhaps, there could be other things done with the boot setup but I ran the common three recommended by Microsoft and it still didn't work.

The real issue was that the recovery program did not work either. After supposedly completely rebuilding the setup on the drive, it still did not boot into Windows, but continued in that endless loop. Apparently there is a boot configuration there that even the recovery program does not touch. I'm not saying there was not something that could have been done, but was not readily apparent nor was anything available from the manufacturer for this issue.

I now have another computer of the same type. My intention is to be very careful now, and for the time being not experiment with Knoppix on it. I know what caused this, and it is avoidable, but if it happens I also know there may be no way out or at least I still don't know what it would be. So for now I set it up for what I need to do and for sure I will be creating backups and recovery discs of various flavors.

I can't claim to be a computer wiz as is most evident here I presume. However I would make a suggestion for anyone that might be considering one of the inexpensive netbooks available like this one. If you really want to use Knoppix on it, take care when doing anything like making a thumbdrive version through the computer. One option for this type of computer would be to remove the drive prior to powering up the computer, and make an exact mirror copy to another drive. Extreme perhaps, but if it works would be good insurance, with a spare drive that would boot up and do the install as new. Just a thought.

At any rate, I do appreciate the assistance I received here, and I will be back to Knoppix as time goes on. I think I will create a flash using an old computer running Knoppix natively. The netbook BIOS is quite able to allow for alternate boot drives of various types and I look forward to this new version of Knoppix as I can see it is a lot more advanced than what I had used in the past.

For those that like to experiment and investigate, it would be interesting and useful to know what the boot configuration of this type of computer is like and possibly how to work with it. Thank you again to all that helped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2