Find the answer to your Linux question:
Gooday all. I have to put my hand up straight away, what has happened is because I tried another Linux OS because I was bored. The story is this. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lost data/my own damn fault.

Gooday all. I have to put my hand up straight away, what has happened is because I tried another Linux OS because I was bored. The story is this. I had a Fedora system up and running for a few weeks and was just choogling along and then I got crook and had to have a few days off work, well, idle hands and all that I re-tried to get Mandriva 2009 up and running. I had got the disk off a magazine a month or so ago and when I tried it then it wouldn't load. Anyhow I put the disk in the other day and it lit up. Ok I sez to myself I will install it and have a look.In my excitement I think I put on the wrong HD. System is AMD64 1 gig ram and a 150 g hd master and 250 g slave hd. the 150?is hda and the 250 is hdb. I had downloaded Knoppix to try and help get some music files off my daughters computer. So here I sit, broken hearted with the following questions. 1 Is my system recoverable. 2 Would one of you kind people help this poor interfering fool through the process. Thanks in anticipation.

knoppix@Knoppix:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 26 14593 117017460 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda2 1 25 200781 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 1 25 200749+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/hdb: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdb1 * 1 1019 8185086 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb2 1020 4111 24836490 5 Extended
    /dev/hdb5 1020 4111 24836458+ 83 Linux
    knoppix@Knoppix:~$

Hello and Welcome!
    You appear to have Linux installed on both HD's. Did you have a Windows partition before? If so, it would seem that it has been overwritten.
    Or did you have Linux installed and you want to try and recover files from that partition?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    Trying to recover data you might try TestDisk and Photorec. Download page link below with link to documentation.

TestDisk Download - CGSecurity

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Should you decide to try TestDisk and PhotoRec as suggested above, you can find them both on the Parted Magic LiveCD. It's a quick download and burn to disk.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Good morning and thank you good folks for replying. I have not had windows on this machine for nearly 2 years now. I have the download happening as I type. I want to recover a few photos from the Fedora installation, when I work out which it is. James.

Just Joined!
    A quick question, these are boot disks aren't they. I have burnt 2 disks and neither of them jump into gear when I reboot. I am set to boot off cd/dvd rom first and I have also manually pointed the machine to boot from the disks, so far to no avail. James.

oz
    forum.guy
    Yes, Parted Magic is a liveCD and should boot if burned properly.

Check the following thread to make sure you are burning the ISO file to the blank disk properly:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    I have been at this most of the day, I need a beer now. Thanks for the input and I will post further once I can get an iso onto disk and run it. Avagoodweekend.