Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, it seems that, once installed on a USB disk with a permanent data file "/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img", Knoppix 6.0.1, quite seldom, fails to populate the /media directory with the proper ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix 6.0.1 problem with population of /media directory

Hi all,

it seems that, once installed on a USB disk with a permanent data file "/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img", Knoppix 6.0.1, quite seldom, fails to populate the /media directory with the proper mount points that have the name of the present partitions (e.g. sda2, sda3...).

I have not yet found what is the startup sequence that fails to work properly once you have a persistent data image and I have come out with a work-around that, launched in the rc.local, finds the local partitions and creates the correct mount points in the "/media" directory and, calling "rebuildfstab", regenerates the /etc/fstab file properly.

The workaround simply scans the output of the "fdisk -l" command for the /dev/ lines and extracts the proper substring used to create the mount point.

Is there anyone that has a more elegant solution?

Just Joined!
    My solution is simpler but experts would say it is not elegant !
    Use Leafpad to edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-halt and /etc/init.d/knoppix-reboot.

In each case insert
    rm /etc/fstab

above the line that echos "System Shutdown" !!

Regards,
    rev_dav