Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am simply trying to find a way to make a USB (pen) drive bootable with any decent Linux distro which is available, and the popularly-recommended site for procedure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Popular pen drive tutorial - "Success!!!", so why can't it find the kernel?

Hello, I am simply trying to find a way to make a USB (pen) drive bootable with any decent Linux distro which is available, and the popularly-recommended site for procedure on this is here (and here is the tutorial for the distro which I haven't yet given up on).

USB Knoppix 5.1.1 install | USB Pen Drive Linux

I have been through the prescribed process with more than just this distro, and the results are the same. Those which are as easy as this one work something like this:

1. Download a self-extracting file and deploy it on your hard drive.
    2. Download the appropriate .iso and place it in the new folder created by the above.
    3. Navigate to that new folder, and launch a .bat file by the same name as that .exe which created the folder.
    4. Follow the instructions. I did this while running Vista (per additional directions offered by the program for Admin issues) and again under easier XP (when the reboot results weren't so congratulatory as the program was after it had completed it's process).

Although the program proclaimed success, when I reboot, with F12 to select my new Knoppix USB drive, it can't find the the kernel - that's what it says,and then it dies. I get the same results on more than one Windows system, so there must be something I'm not understanding about the installation process - please help, if you can!

Thanks.

Never tried any of the pendrive linux instructions. But I've had success with unetbootin. UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Never tried any of the pendrive linux instructions. But I've had success with unetbootin. UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    Thanks! It's a cool program, but I don't know what this one did with my Sandisk USB, either. I tried two distros, Arch and Dreamlinux, on a pen (I've tried so many on this pen and one just like it, but when they fail to boot I can still do a Windows format on them) with Unebootin, and the results were close to the Pendrivelinux results - instead of my computer ignoring my bios selection for the Sandisk which was listed by (two gave me this problem with Pendrivelinux, one of them is Intel-driven) the products of this program caused me computer to freeze at the manufacturer's screen until I unplugged the computer and removed the USB. I have one more pen to try, but this is getting kinda silly - anyone have experience like this with bottom-priced Sandisks? They aren't old, and have at least 8G! If it isn't the media, than what else could me, or hardware which is no more than a year old, be screwing up?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I use an old 2 GB sandisk cruzer and it works a treat. Not sure what you tell you. Have you tried it in different USB ports?