Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm quite new with linux and have a generally low experience with computers, but I wanted to try out linux with knoppix (and leave windows intact) So I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Writing data on a 'linux' hard-disk-partitioning

Hello all,

I'm quite new with linux and have a generally low experience with computers, but I wanted to try out linux with knoppix (and leave windows intact)

So I created in linux a hard-disk partition using 'QTParted' using a ext3 partitioning.
    Afterwards this partitioning showed up on my desktop as sda3 (other 2 partitionings are windows using ntfs system)

But now the problem is that i can't write on this partition i designed to be used for linux-files (it's read-only)

To solve this i tried the following:
    -On the desktop i clicked 'right' on the icon of the sda3 partition, mounting it and using actions -> change read-write mode
    This seemed to work and asking for the properties gave me some info:
    Ownership: knoppix
    and i could make it writable by all users under the properties and permissions.

Now I tried to open the sda3-partition using 'Konqueror', I could open the sda3 partition 'located' on my desktop upon which i got transferred to the same partition on another location: /media/sda3, but I could make folders or other new files here, it refused me access when trying to write data.

Now i tried changing the permissions using the 'properties' of the sda3 located in the /media/sda3.. This didn't work since ownership was by 'root' and i couldn't access permissions, since i wasn't owner.

My next attempt was a bit more fruitful. Using the prompt-box, i could enter /media/sda3, but still not create files with 'mkdir' and others, but I could make folders and files after using 'su' which transferred me to the 'root' (I don't know how this works actually but found it in a 'linux for dummies' manual.

---

Now my question: Is there a way to make this partition writable for me or to change 'ownership' of the /media/sda3 partition from 'root' to 'knoppix' so I can write other data than just directories and textfiles on this partition?

Or is knoppix just unsuited to safe data on hard-disk and should i try another version of linux?
    All this protection is very nice since it's possible to overwrite windows files and such, but i'd like to store some info on a more reliable place than my ram : p

Your help is very much appreciated : )

When you mount that partition. use option "umask=0 0 0"
    so others have permission to write and read the data
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Are you using LiveCD of Knoppix or installed it on Harddisk?

You have to change ownership of Linux Partition to enable read/write access.
    Execute id command and note down User and Group Id.
    Execute chown command to change ownership.
    Code:
    id
    chown -R user_id:group_id  /media/sda3
    Quote Originally Posted by b2bwild
    When you mount that partition. use option "umask=0 0 0"
    so others have permission to write and read the data
    umask works for non-Linux partitions only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    umask works for non-Linux partitions only.
    Oh, yeah I forgot that one
    glad you figure it out.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much! It worked : D
    I use live-cd by the way

:happy with my new hard-disk-partition now : )

Glad to help you !
    Do start a new thread if you have any other question.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First