Find the answer to your Linux question:
Basically here is my problem; I cannot connect to the internet in knoppix. I need the net to send myself some files (yes I have tried to mount a USB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Configuring IP in Knoppix

Basically here is my problem; I cannot connect to the internet in knoppix. I need the net to send myself some files (yes I have tried to mount a USB device and can't get it to mount for the life of me). Everytime I try and manually set the IP it says:
    "The action you requested needs root privileges...blah blah Please enter roots PSW.
    CP
    '/ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-knoppix/kcontrolQ9X04b.tm
    '/etc/lisarc'; chmod 644 '/etc/listarc'; rm -f
    '/ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-knoppix/kcontrolQ9X04b.tm"

*BTW what does that message mean?*

I thought ok I'll just set it in the root shell by using:
    # ifconfig ethX 123.45.67.89
    # ifconfig ethX netmask 255.255.255.0
    # echo nameserver 123.45.67.89 >> /etc/resolv.conf
    # route add default gw 123.45.67.254

that didn't work either, so I browsed this form and found this link that had ways to set the IP and or get the net to work

none of those work either. I notice after I use the root shell and I go back to Konqueror, it never has the appropriate IPs saved...and when i try to set them in konqueror it gives me the message about privileges.

Look, I'm not completely a newbie at linux but its my first time using Knoppix. If you guys have suggestions or know what I'm possibly doing wrong let me know, your help is much appreciated.

Welcome to the Forums.
    Which version of Knoppix are you using? Have you tried using the Knoppix menu to set up the network?
    Are you sure this card is recognized and installed correctly?
    And keep in mind, Knoppix uses sudo for root privileges.
    sudo ifconfig ethX 123.45.67.89
    sudo ifconfig ethX netmask 255.255.255.0
    sudo echo nameserver 123.45.67.89 >> /etc/resolv.conf
    sudo route add default gw 123.45.67.254
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Welcome to the Forums.
    Which version of Knoppix are you using? Have you tried using the Knoppix menu to set up the network?
    Are you sure this card is recognized and installed correctly?
    And keep in mind, Knoppix uses sudo for root privileges.
    Im using knoppix 3.6. I did use the setup wizard to set the card up, and its being recognised. Before I set the card up id do ifconfig it showed me some lo card thing, after setup it showed me eth0 card with my ip and all those goodies. I'll try and use sudo with those commands again. Let you know how that works.

Is there any way you can get an updated version of knoppix? It's now up to version 6.0.1 and there are a lot of improvements since knoppix 3.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Is there any way you can get an updated version of knoppix? It's now up to version 6.0.1 and there are a lot of improvements since knoppix 3.
    Well I got it to work. Actually I got the USB to mount automatically after using knoppix 6.0.1. So I backed up the files and didn't even need the net. Thanks!

Awesome! glad you got it working. do post again if you need help with anything else.