Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI, Am having difficulty in configuring knoppix to a wireless network and using a dial-up system for internet connectivity . Also, plugging in flash memories wehther in user or root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy config knoppix to wireless networking

HI,
    Am having difficulty in configuring knoppix to a wireless network and using a dial-up system for internet connectivity. Also, plugging in flash memories wehther in user or root mode gives me the error "device only lies with HAL"(and no GUI for root login: only konsole interface! Any config to run?). Finally How do I boot a deb. distro in toshiba satelite L300?
    Please advise...
    Last edited by njuguna; 05-07-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: missing text

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by njuguna View Post
    HI,
    Am having difficulty in configuring knoppix to a wireless network and using a dial-up system for internet connectivity. Also, plugging in flash memories wehther in user or root mode gives me the error "device only lies with HAL"(and no GUI for root login: only konsole interface! Any config to run?). Finally How do I boot a deb. distro in toshiba satelite L300?
    Please advise...
    Hello, is there anyone to help me ASAP? I really need to get my top functional.

Linux User
    I don't run knoppix, and have never tried wireless to dialup, so can't help there. For the Toshiba, go into bios, set it to boot from cd/dvd first. Then put in iso cd of linux distro you want to try and reboot. It should boot to live distro of linux. (By the way, I always make sure I use a live cd so I can make sure the computer hardware is all recognized.)
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!
    The problem on toshiba side is not the bootup sequence, but rather during boot from a live dvd, the process just halts and gives error messages partaining to a certain process that has failed. The most common is a process 2998, but each attempt yields a new one and starts looping indefinitely(so far, that only happens to debian distros on toshiba satelite; centrino;160;core 2 duo, etc.) That's the problem

Linux User
    I run Ubuntu, but didn't see PID 2998 in /proc, so I'm not sure what the error is. I tried a restart and then inserted a Live DVD of slackware in & still no PID2998, so I'm afraid I don't know what the problem is.
    Registered Linux User #420832