Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to service a clients pc, they want KNOPPIX installed on it. When I boot KNOPPIX everything runs fine until it gets to the point where it starts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

knoppix live cd issue

I am trying to service a clients pc, they want KNOPPIX installed on it. When I boot KNOPPIX everything runs fine until it gets to the point where it starts the gui. At this point the monitor says 'frequency out of range'. How to correct this? The monitor is 1400x900. I do not have specs right now as I am at work, but I believe it is a Gateway DX series, just not sure which one. Monitor is connected to onboard graphics. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Use F1 F2 and other keys to see option you can use for specific hardware choose tp load vesa driver from which will give a not very good picture but it is universal

kbk
    Ok I will give that a try. Thanks.

kbk
    That didn't work. It produces the same results, boots up fine up until init runlevel 5 and then monitor says 'frequency out of range'. The pc is a gateway dx4720, monitor model # is lp1925. It is using onboard graphics, I need to get this resolved ASAP so I don't lose this customer. Any help would be appreciated.

edit: here is link to pc specs: Newegg.com - Gateway DX4720-03 Pentium dual-core E5200(2.50GHz) 4GB DDR2 640GB NVIDIA GeForce 7100 Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

Just Joined!
    When the system boots up bios make a post check do you hear some beeps ? How many if any.
    Another think you could do is to give knoppix this
    knoppix 2 it will start text mode then you have to type su to become root after that try Xorg --configure display will flick for a moment then try to start gui with type kdm
    you can type a lsmod to see what a modules is loaded you have to see nv (nvidia module)
    if this dosent work try knoppix xmodule=nv
    another option is knoppix screen=type here monitor resolution in that case 1440x900 and see what hapens
    ahother cheatcode is to use knoppix vga=normal the boot but try above thinks
    or to use athoner gui knoppix desktop=fluxbox | gnome | xfce use only one
    When system boot normal with gui you see messages is there somethink like
    Video is : video card model
    Monitor is model
    and if the name a correct the knoppix recognize hardware
    Use latest knoppix version

A help for me is post aftre boot and problem happens to see last ten messages from /var/log/Xorg.log

If this dosent work write

Just Joined!

frequency out of range

Sometimes it is good to listen carefully to the error..
    You need to change the frequency

I solved the same problem by changing the screen parameters i.e
    boot with

knoppix screen=1440x900

QED