Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a dual boot (XP Home on one HDD, XP Pro on another) PC I built a couple years back around an Asus P5B deluxe mobo. Wanting to have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix 6.0.1 live cd trouble

I have a dual boot (XP Home on one HDD, XP Pro on another) PC I built a couple years back around an Asus P5B deluxe mobo. Wanting to have a functioning OS I could use to get into the system in the event of system troubles, I burned a Knoppix 6.0.1 disc, which worked fine the first 5 or so times I used it. I could get online, access my 6 hdd's, everything I wanted. After that though, when I insert the disc & try to get into the OS, it seems to go through the post process OK (text, green progress bar, etc.) but then will go no further than the mouse "X" which appears on the screen (the "X" that shows briefly just prior to the pointer arrow appearing & the blue logo coming on). Tried the disc in my wife's laptop & it boots up fine; just like it did on my PC the first few times. Reburned the ISO to another disc, same thing. Also installed another optical drive I have & tried both disks on my machine, still stops at the "X". Interestingly, a Puppy live CD I have which had booted OK ALSO will not now boot on this machine. I really would like to explore these OS's, and have a live cd in the event of trouble. What could be the problem?

TIA

Fred

Just Joined!
    I should add that I attempted the Puppy disk again today, it gets to step 3, "Loading the MSY_084.sfs main file copying to RAM" and freezes. The PC continues to operate fine off the 2 installed XP operating systems.

Fred

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by FredForsythe View Post
    I should add that I attempted the Puppy disk again today, it gets to step 3, "Loading the MSY_084.sfs main file copying to RAM" and freezes. The PC continues to operate fine off the 2 installed XP operating systems.

Fred
    Hi Fred,

Do you have more than 700 MB RAM on your machine?
    Is there any chance that one of your SIMM cards has come adrift: enough to stop Linux starting up but not enough to stop Windows working?

David