Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just recently got a copy of Knoopix live, and I have found it to be anexcellent replacement for freespire. However, I cannot figure out how to install it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix Live CD installation

I have just recently got a copy of Knoopix live, and I have found it to be anexcellent replacement for freespire.

However, I cannot figure out how to install it on the hard drive.

Is there a way to install it on the hard drive, or is it only a live CD format.

oz
    forum.guy
    The knoppix wiki provides this HowTo for installing it to the hard drive:

Hd Install HowTo - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

...I've never tried using this howto so can't say how well it works.
    oz

That documentation seems to advise that Knoppix is not intended for installation. It really looks awesome, and that LXDE is so simple and pretty!

In another thread (in the Misc section) someone suggested that Knoppix has developed right along and can/should be installed like any other distro. But the web site says different (or at the very least seems to advise against installation). Has that changed? And if so, why does the web site still advise against installing it?

Just curious because Knoppix looks really nice, like the "minimal Ubuntu + codecs + LXDE" mixture I'm using now.

Thanks,
    Amy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Knoppix was never really meant to be installed to the hard drive, although it can be done. It was designed from the beginning to be run as a liveCD.
    oz

I Love knoppix myself and I know a lot of people have installed it to their HD's but I'm gonna quote the Knoppix.net WIKI here.
    Seems to me that the repos will go out of date and you wouldn't be able to update it any more and also if you install to the HD and just keep updating with only the default repos, you'll end up with something quiet different from what you would get if you just downloaded the newest LiveCD version. Might as well use LFS for all that nonsense.
    Knoppix is designed & intended to be used as a GNU/Linux LiveCD and not a HD installed Linux distro. A HD installed Knoppix will give you a running GNU/Linux system but it is not easy to support or administrate and add/remove of software is complicated and is best left to GNU/Linux experts. Examples of such issues can be found in the Hdd Install / Debian / Apt forum. If you are a new user and not a GNU/Linux expert & want a HD installed system then skip the LiveCDs and go directly to a distro designed to be installed to a HD, for example Debian 3.1r0a
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Rather than install Knoppix to the hard drive and then try to keep it updated, it would be best, in my opinion, to do a fresh install after each release. Of course, I'm always a fan of doing fresh installs rather than upgrades, anyway.
    oz