Find the answer to your Linux question:
Newbie so please bear with me. Had a buffalo linkstation ( 2 drives set up as raid 1), the controller went bad on the linkstation and buffalo claimed I could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sata Hard Drive Problems

Newbie so please bear with me. Had a buffalo linkstation
    ( 2 drives set up as raid 1), the controller went bad on the linkstation and buffalo claimed I could retrieve the data with knoppix, so i removed the drives from the buffalo, disconnected my pc harddrive and connected one of the buffalo drives to my sata connection of the motherboard. Booted up with the knoppix cd but it does not show my harddrive on the desktop , only my cd drives. Knoppix does not find it when loading either. It shows up correctly in bios. The only icons on the desktop are my 2 cd drives( neither of which are the hard drive, I clicked on them to be sure.) Thanks in advancefor any help you can give me.

Hello and Welcome!

Just now saw your post.
    Have you checked all of the cables for your drive? And any jumper connections if necessary? If you checked these, and you're positive that they are correct, then you may have a failing disk on your hands.

Also, while I'm no expert at RAID, if you had them setup as an array in the linkstation, have you attempted to line them up the same way in your PC and accessing the files that way?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Glad to be of assistance MDG and thanks for pointing that cover out to me as well, I had hardly noticed... I guess I was trying to contemplate the swift content jump from "Mighty Mouse" in issue 8, to the "Romance and Confession" stories of issue 9

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: Sata Hard Drive Problems

You need to make sure you plug in to the correct cables plug,check that is the power connections in,and the correct jumper connections are plugged in.

There are 4 options for the jumper connections as follow:
    DEVICE0 DEVICE1 CABLE FORCING
    (MASTER) (SLAVE) SELECT DEV1 PRESENT

The best is DEVICE1(SLAVE) if you already have a master hard disk.
    Or else DEVICE0(MASTER) if you do not have a master hard disk.