Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everybody ! I downloaded the .iso file for linux whax distribution in order to try for myself the hacking of my own router ( simple curiosity if this really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux whax issue

Hello everybody ! I downloaded the .iso file for linux whax distribution in order to try for myself the hacking of my own router ( simple curiosity if this really works and if I am able to do it ) . The thing is I burned the .iso file to a CD and when trying to boot from it I get the following thing :

ISOLINUX 3.07 2005-01-12 Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H.Peter Anvin
    Isolinux : Disk error 20 , AX = 42 CA , drive EF

Boot failed : press any key to continue...

I really have no idea why I cannot boot from the CD.What would the problem be ?

Please , if you have any suggestions help me ! Thank you !

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check this HowTo for making sure you did the downloading, burning, and booting correctly:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Post back if you continue to have problems after following all steps as provided.
    oz

Just Joined!
    First of all thank you for your time ! I've been reading this HowTo but I still cannot make it work.

The problem is that along the steps I had found things I didn't fully understant.

I downloaded this "fsum" program and more or less I understood how it works.I know I have to compare something.(Using Windows) I typed as so in the command prompt and got the following ( check .jpg picture ) . I do not know WHAT must I do next after that.

Supposing the .iso image is not corrupted I jumped to the next step :

Using Nero I "Burned as an image" the .iso file , and used a 4x writing speed as you said.I try to boot again from the cd and I still get the same error.

I belive it is because of that "fsum" application , something I'm doing wrong or I'm not doing it at all.

What to do ?

Thank you once more !
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a HowTo explaining the checksum process:

md5 checksum how to Linux by Examples

It's a quick procedure and can save you lots of time in the long run.

The most common problem with burning ISO file to disk is users copying the file to disk as a file rather than burning the ISO file to disk as an image.
    oz

Just Joined!
    This is great , the only problem there is , is that these commands are the usage of a LINUX command prompt , I am using Windows at this moment . So what commands should I use in my case ?

oz
    forum.guy
    If the checksums matched on the test you ran above, you should be good to go for burning the ISO file to disk as an image. I'd try the disk you made in another computer to see if it works there. If it does, then it's likely some hardware issue, or your drive doesn't like the disk you made for some reason. Another option might be to try a different burning application. There is a link at the bottom of the ISO Burning HowTo posted above that leads to a number of other good burning apps.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    If the checksums matched on the test you ran above, you should be good to go for burning the ISO file to disk as an image.
    Excuse me but it's what I asked you before."if it matches" with what ?! THIS is what I do not understand.Please be more explicit.

Thanks for your time once more !

Just Joined!
    OK so I tryed something and I think I got it right this time.(As I have read in the second HowTo you gave me ) I created a .txt file and wrote the following thing check the .jpg file) . is it correct ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

oz
    forum.guy
    You need to download the ISO file and the checksum file from wherever you downloaded your distribution. When you open the downloaded checksum file, you'll see a very long series of numbers and letters, like the one in your first jpg image that you posted above. That number must match the one that you get when you run the checksum test on the ISO file.

If they don't match, you've got a corrupted (or tampered with) ISO file. Hope that makes sense.
    oz