Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all I recently came into possession of an old Compaq Armada M700, 400 MHz and 400 MB RAM. I decided to try installing Knoppix on the laptop, and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix boot problem (X won't start)

Hello all
    I recently came into possession of an old Compaq Armada M700, 400 MHz and 400 MB RAM. I decided to try installing Knoppix on the laptop, and i used a Knoppix Live CD that i had lying around to install to the hard drive. Knoppix was working fine, and once i got wireless internet up and running, i tried an apt-get update/apt-get upgrade, which went smoothly (or so it seemed). However, on the next boot, knoppix booted to a root console. When i typed in startx (I tried it both as user and as root), I got the following error message:
    Code:
    This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation.
    It is not supported in any way.
    Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
    Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
    Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
    latest version in the X.Org Foundation git repository.
    See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GitPage for git access instructions.

X.Org X Server 1.6.3.901 (1.6.4 RC 1)
    Release Date: 2009-8-25
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.30.6-dsa-ia32 i686 Debian
    Current Operating System: Linux Microknoppix 2.6.28.4 #8 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 9 14:33:28 CET 2009 i686
    Build Date: 14 September 2009  05:23:17PM
    xorg-server 2:1.6.3.901-1 (buildd@murphy.debian.org) 
    	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    	to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Mar  9 07:38:32 1980
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid argument
    SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling in X server
    (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid argument
    xinit: ../../src/xcb_lock.c:33: _XCBUnlockDisplay: Assertion `xcb_get_request_sent(dpy->xcb->connection) == dpy->request' failed.
    /usr/bin/startx: line 197:  3686 Aborted                 xinit "$client" $clientargs -- "$server" $display $serverargs
    I'd really rather not reinstall on this machine; There is no way to get even a wired connection, and setting up my Broadcom wireless card was a pain, since my only way of installing packages was deb by deb using my USB key and my main laptop.
    By the way, in case this was a little unclear; i do have internet access at the moment, through my wireless network, so that might be some useful information for anyone reading this.

I should also mention that i tried reinstalling xserver-xorg, I don't know if that would do anything but it was the only thing I could think of hehe..
    Last edited by wutcnbrowndo4u; 09-18-2009 at 05:52 AM. Reason: forgot something

It says that the modules that they are trying to load (freetype and type1) is missing or accidentally deleted.
    Another is the Assertion of `xcb_get_request_sent(dpy->xcb->connection) == dpy->request' failed.
    The last one is /usr/bin/startx loading was aborted.

oz
    forum.guy
    Lots of folks install Knoppix to a hard drive, but it was never intended for that and it runs best as a liveCD, as indicated in the official Knoppix Wiki:

Hd Install HowTo - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

Knoppix is designed & intended to be used as a GNU/Linux LiveCD and not a HD installed Linux distro. A HD installed Knoppix will give you a running GNU/Linux system but it is not easy to support or administrate and add/remove of software is complicated and is best left to GNU/Linux experts.
    Updates and upgrades are one of the problems that users commonly run into if installed on the hard disk. For that reason, I'd recommend choosing a distribution that was designed to be installed to the hard drive.

Either way, I hope it works out for you and that you will enjoy running Linux on your laptop.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ah, i see.
    I actually hadn't come across that information; thanks for the info. Given that it's not really meant to be installed on a hard drive, I guess I can probably anticipate more problems with upgrading etc in the future, and I don't imagine those will be easy to fix on a regular basis. I think I'll try Puppy or DSL (though i gather that that is based on Knoppix, so maybe I'll stick with Puppy). Thanks very much for your response