Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please don't fall about laughing I have a Knoppix 3.7 cd which was given to me by an IT professional. I use it to introduce people to Linux and also ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix 3.7 problem

Please don't fall about laughing

I have a Knoppix 3.7 cd which was given to me by an IT professional. I use it to introduce people to Linux and also for my own fun although to be honest, I don't think it has been run more than twenty times. I have upgraded my computer and now I have a problem. The installation fails at (Re-)scanning USB devices...sync: (then a square bracket which I don't have on my keyboard) followed by 001
    The white flashing cursor remains for ten minutes then the screen goes blank but I can still hear the cd spinning in the drive.

I tried running knoppix testcd and it was OK for files until it got to KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX then it had a continuous white flashing cursor as described above.

I have thought about purchasing the latest DVD but I am somewhat deterred in case it, too, is not compatible with my machine. I cannot download the free version as on less than 1Mb broadband connection speed

Has anyone any advice? And thank you for reading this post.

Hi and Welcome !

Which Graphics Card do you have? Have you tried to use "vesa" driver option?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for a super prompt reply from a Super Moderator!

I use an onboard graphics chipset ATI Radeon X1200 Series [Display adapter]. My motherboard is a Gigabyte Technology GA-MA69VM-S2

I have just looked at using a vesa driver option but got myself lost. Using Google I saw a forum suggestion to using a 'uvesa' driver but I couldn't get it to install.

It sounds like you have some fairly new hardware, knoppix 3.7 is OLD (released in 2004). I know its a pain, but you should probably order a CD of the latest version, since hardware problems are due largely to old kernels that don't have support for new hardware.

Just Joined!
    Yea, I had a sneaky feeling that that would be the case. I shall go ahead and give the latest version a try!
    Many thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerian View Post
    Yea, I had a sneaky feeling that that would be the case. I shall go ahead and give the latest version a try!
    Many thanks.
    Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.

Just Joined!
    Thank you ponscrapia for coming in on this thread. I haven't ordered Knoppix disk yet but will be doing so soon. I intend to purchase the DVD rather than the CD on the basis 'you pay for what you get'. Obviously the DVD holds more data than the CD but what are the differences?

It probably just comes with more software readily available to you is my guess.

Just Joined!
    It probably just comes with more software readily available to you is my guess.
    I think you are right. I just wondered if there were more drivers etc., but no doubt the CD would have those as it runs the entire operating system. More software is a bonus. I would love that!