Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi, I have a problem with my Laptop concerning the wireless. I have bought it and it was delivered with Win 7 and surprise! No drivers available for the wireless ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Can I get the Senao EUB-362EXT somehow working in Linux....??

Hi,

I have a problem with my Laptop concerning the wireless. I have bought it and it was delivered with Win 7 and surprise! No drivers available for the wireless adapter Senao EUB-362EXT....

can you believe this actually???

well- I can now.

The question is : do you think I can somehow get some small linux version working that would allow me to use this USB device? (i still need the windows for other programs)

I am not a linux user so please advise. I have tried to have a look at this and I can't get it working.
    {run-damn-small-linux-in-windows}
    if you know a good way of how to solve this elegantly please let me know.
    I

Damn Small Linux is no longer maintained, or at least, hasn't had any sort of update is over a year, and even so, uses a very old kernel, so support for newer hardware is poor. (Drivers are usually included in the linux kernel.)

Whether it will work on a current distro, we can't say without knowing the chipset of the card.

Google suggests is may be an Atheros chipset, ar5523. If you boot up a live cd, open a terminal and post the output of
    Code:
    lsusb
    we can confirm the chipset.

Assuming this is the case, there is a driver in the works.
    ar5523 - Linux Wireless

Right now your only option may be to use a Windows XP driver with ndiswrapper.

Just Joined!
    hi , thanks for the very quick reply.

I did have a look and indeed the chip it's an Atheros Ar5523.

From your message I understand that there is a possibility other linux version might have this problem fixed?

What do you think? if there is such a distribution that works under windows I would like to try it, otherwise I will start reading about how to install the driver.

pls let me know what would you recommend me.

I

No current distribution includes this driver. You can build the development version from source, but it may not work well. I have no idea how far along it is.

There are Debian instructions. It would be similar for Ubuntu or other Debian derived distros.

Otherwise there is ndiswrapper, which I mentioned, that can utilize some Windows drivers in linux. It doesn't work with all wireless cards, though. And it pretty much only works with XP drivers, not Vista or Windows 7 drivers.
    SourceForge.net: ndiswrapper

I don't know what you mean by a distribution that works under windows. You might like Ubuntu's Wubi?

Just Joined!
    What I mean by a distribution that works under windows is something like "damn-small-linux-in-windows" that doesnt require a lot of work and knowledge for install and it will not interfere with Windows.

I will have a look wubi the next days, it seems like accesible.

At the moment I am running damn-small-linux from a usb and when I type in lsusb I get nothing back so probably in order to install the driver I need to install linux on the hard drive not just run it from USB....

thanks again for your help- will come back as soon as I install wubi

I

Just Joined!
    I have made the last days some progress and I have installed the net5523.inf driver. At the begining I had the problem that after installing the driver it wouldn't report that the device is present when you do
    ndiswrapper -l

So, now it tells me driver installed, device present and yet it does nothing... I also did the modprobe ndiswrapper

Any idea what should I try next?

I

Just Joined!
    one little addition:
    when I type
    dmesg
    tells me:
    [ 697.670047] usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
    [ 697.821707] usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 697.950050] usb 1-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
    [ 698.103180] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:150): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows driver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 698.103189] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:206): couldn't prepare driver 'net5523'
    [ 698.103705] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:10: couldn't load driver net5523; check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'

[ 698.103180] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:150): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows driver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    I'm afraid you need to find a 64 bit version of the windows driver (if it exists) or switch to a 32 bit distro.

Just Joined!

32 bit... even more problems

I have installed the ubuntu 9.10 32 bit version
    ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso

and this time I cannot even install ndiswrapper.

I follow the instructions and when I type make I get this:
    ----------------
    bichi@ubuntu:~/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55$ make
    make -C driver
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver'
    make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic M=/home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    LD /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/built-in.o
    MKEXPORT /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/crt_exports.h
    MKEXPORT /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/hal_exports.h
    MKEXPORT /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/ndis_exports.h
    MKEXPORT /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/ntoskernel_exports.h
    MKEXPORT /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/ntoskernel_io_exports.h
    MKEXPORT /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/rtl_exports.h
    MKEXPORT /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/usb_exports.h
    CC [M] /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/crt.o
    In file included from /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/crt.c:16:
    /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/ntoskernel.h: In function ‘PushEntrySList’:
    /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/ntoskernel.h:905: error: implicit declaration of function ‘cmpxchg8b’
    make[3]: *** [/home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/crt.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    --------------------------------------

obviouslly I tried the next steps installing ndiswrapper but...

______________-

make -C driver install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver'
    make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic M=/home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    CC [M] /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/crt.o
    In file included from /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/crt.c:16:
    /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/ntoskernel.h: In function ‘PushEntrySList’:
    /home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/ntoskernel.h:905: error: implicit declaration of function ‘cmpxchg8b’
    make[3]: *** [/home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/crt.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bichi/Documents/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver'
    make: *** [install] Error 2
    ----------------------------------------

I tried also the 1.50 ndiswrapper with the same success...

I would really like to get this working but it seems an impossible job at the moment.

thanks again for any advice

You don't need to build it from source. It's rare that you should ever need to build something from source, especially for Ubuntu which probably has more software available for it than any other distro.

If you have a wired connection, do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils
    If you do not, I believe it is on the installation CD.

Or you can download the Ubuntu package from a different computer, transfer it to your Ubuntu machine, and install it.
    Ubuntu -- Package Download Selection -- ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.54-2ubuntu1_i386.deb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast