Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was playing around with teh live cd today, adn i decided i wanted a place to store my files so i could carry them around. I decided to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installed over my hard drive

I was playing around with teh live cd today, adn i decided i wanted a place to store my files so i could carry them around. I decided to do it through teh boot prompt, and everything went fine... apperently not. my thumb drive fell out and it decided that the hard drive was a flash disc, and it proceded to install itself there, now my reinstall disc for windows wont do a clean reinstall, and I can't figure out what to do next.
    hallp!

specs
    vista premium64 bit (old operating system that's totlly gone now)
    dell 530s (my computer make and model)

Boot the LiveCd again and post the output of this command.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    it should list all the partitions on your system.
    The re-install disk, is it a recovery CD or a Restore CD or actually a Windows CD?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    sorry, i'll try and give yo as much information as possible, but if you'll bear with me. I am a little frustrated.
    it's a recovery disc, it should allow me to reinstall, am I right?
    I do beleive there are three partitions, a hidden recovery partition *which is currently housing both my widows recovery partition , adn knoppix.
    i'll get back to you with teh list though in a few minutes.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    /dev/sda1 * 1 7 56196 de Dell Utility
    /dev/sda2 8 1313 10485760 6 FAT16
    /dev/sda3 1313 60802 477843456 7 HPFS/NTFS

Just Joined!
    I think I just want to reinstall clean, I am not sure what to do from here...HALP!

You have no Linux partitions, I have no idea what you did but you did not install Linux anywhere on this drive. You just have a recovery partition, and 2 Windows partitions.
    Can you give a little more detail on what the system is doing when you reboot it without the LiveCD?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    ahh yes, it's confusing. what happens is, it tries to load knoppix, it does thei because apperenlty knoppix went itno the boot files, or rather superceded it. i says that there is not linux kernel availabe whever i start up without teh live cd.
    I don't know excatly how to use the recovery partition yet.

My first guess is that you partly installed GRUB or something.....I think the best approach would be to download and burn the Supergrub CD and let it fix the Windows boot loader.
    Super Grub Disk Homepage

Just Joined!
    ok how do I use that if I can't install stuff, and it refuses to boot windows/ it's kin of a sticky wicket, I'll see where this goes from here though. also burining cds is difficult as I am using a live cd to make my puter work for now.

I'm not sure of the name but Knoppix has CD/DVD burning software available but you might have to install it with synaptic package manager. Look for Brasero.
    Which version of Knoppix do you have?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast