Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a bluescreen in Windows XP and Im now using Knoppix and I want to use ntfsfix but when I try to unmount the harddrive it says "An ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mount Partition In Knoppix Need Answer

Hello, I have a bluescreen in Windows XP and Im now using Knoppix and I want to use ntfsfix but when I try to unmount the harddrive it says "An Application is preventig the partition from being unmounted" and what is unmount exactly? and can my Windows XP-Install or files on my harddrive be changed?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Run man mount from a terminal to get more info on the mount command:

Code:
    man mount
    All files accessible in a Unix system are arranged in one big tree, the file hierarchy, rooted at /. These files can be spread out over several devices. The mount command serves to attach the file system found on some device to the big file tree. Conversely, the umount command will detach it again.
    Make sure you haven't opened any files from your Windows partition from within Knoppix when running it. If you have file open, you might not be able to unmount the Windows partition.
    oz

If you have a terminal window open and you are in the Windows directory, this will also prevent you from unmounting it. You need to make sure that you "cd" /home after you finish with any commands you may have issued in the windows directory.
    File managers are the same way, you need to change directories before you can unmount them.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I will test it, I have never use anything from/with Linux before so I will perhaps ask something soon:P

Here is a question is there a command to show all commands what it means? help in the Terminal doesnt say much

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by HALLÅ View Post
    is there a command to show all commands what it means?
    You can find a listing of Linux commands and what they do here:

Linux Command Directory - O'Reilly Media
    oz

You may also use the man pages on your system, perfect for offline viewing. For example if you want to learn more about the ls or mount command, you would open a terminal window and issue this command.
    Code:
    man ls
    man mount
    You may also use the info command.
    Code:
    info ls
    info mount
    Use Q to quit both programs.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.