Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, with one problem very shortly behind me, I have another... How do I disable or uninstall the Orca Screen Reader? I can go to shell and then type "startx" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Orca

Ok, with one problem very shortly behind me, I have another...

How do I disable or uninstall the Orca Screen Reader?

I can go to shell and then type "startx" and that seems to load the graphical session without Orca starting up, but is there a way I can use the regular graphical programs--> Full X Session without this thing telling me what's happening on the screen all the time?

Clicking on Orca in the Universal Access--> Orca menu just makes it say "Welcome to Orca" again, no options anywhere to turn off. I can't find anything on this site or with Google that mentions this particular problem.

Knoppix v6.2

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by phooney View Post
    Ok, with one problem very shortly behind me, I have another...

How do I disable or uninstall the Orca Screen Reader?

I can go to shell and then type "startx" and that seems to load the graphical session without Orca starting up, but is there a way I can use the regular graphical programs--> Full X Session without this thing telling me what's happening on the screen all the time?

Clicking on Orca in the Universal Access--> Orca menu just makes it say "Welcome to Orca" again, no options anywhere to turn off. I can't find anything on this site or with Google that mentions this particular problem.

Knoppix v6.2

Thanks
    I wish someone would asnwer this. I can't shut orca off either.

knoppix must have an autostart section somewhwere - either a gui from the menu or just the .desktop files in ~/.config/autostart
    sometimes also called "startup applications" "desktop session preferences" or the like.

Linux Guru
    Try the suggestion on post 4 at the site below. I found several sites indicating success using this method:

How to disable Orca screen reader?

Just Joined!

Unistalled Orca

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    knoppix must have an autostart section somewhwere - either a gui from the menu or just the .desktop files in ~/.config/autostart
    sometimes also called "startup applications" "desktop session preferences" or the like.

Thanks for the reply. I unistalled Orca and then restarted my computer. When I unistalled it Orca kept reading the screen. I figured uninstalling it would shut it up immediately. But I that wouldn't make sense if the program was loaded into memory because Orca would not have any indication it was just uninstalled. I just turned off the computer and restarted. Orca was gone forever after I did that.