Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok here is the situation: My computer was infected with a trojan or trojans. I ran a slew of anti-virus programs to hunt down the interlopers. I then restarted the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot boot knoppix!

Ok here is the situation:

My computer was infected with a trojan or trojans. I ran a slew of anti-virus programs to hunt down the interlopers. I then restarted the computer. Sure enough the computer no longer starts, claiming that a file (Windows/system32/nvata) is missing or damaged and windows cannot run without it.

So I went on my sisters computer(which barely deserves the name) and downloaded knoppix and burned it to a cd. I put it in and it began to load until it stopped and said it couldn't because "Job Control" was set to off. I have tried to re-install several times but they all failed. What can I do at this point? Please help. I am aware I will likely need a new hard drive/new copy of windows but there is quite a lot of information on my drive which I would like to keep. Thanks a lot, I would really appreciate any help.

Hello and Welcome.
    I would suggest that you download Parted Magic to a USB drive and use that. It's a small download but powerful tool.
    News
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Damn. I went to their site and the directions seem extremely confusing/elaborate. My flash drive is really really crappy so I don't know if it will work. Also I don't know if it will have room for the program and for the files I need. I'll try to give it a shot but is there any way to get the knoppix to work?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I haven't used Knoppix in awhile and I haven't ever seen that error message before, I don't even know where to begin.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    You can close the thread. I tried Ubuntu and it worked fine.

Glad you found a satisfactory answer.