Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have spent all day with different Linux systems attempting to mount my (partioned) NTFS hard drive on which is installed Vista and all of my files. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Struggling to mount NTFS

Hi,

I have spent all day with different Linux systems attempting to mount my (partioned) NTFS hard drive on which is installed Vista and all of my files.

I am failing at being able to mount the drive, even after trawling through every reference point I can find on the web...all day!

Knoppix loads up showing sda1 (inmounted) sda2 (icon shows as mounted but I can't view files) sda3 (unmounted), sdb1 (mounted) and sr0 (unmounted) on the desktop. I am running knoppix 5.1 from USB.

Fdisk shows (apologies i am working on another laptop and cannot paste);

/dev/sda1 1 7898 63438844 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 * 7898 8159 2097152 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 8159 19458 90752000 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb1 * 1 2891 997344 6 FAT16

On attempting to mount (multiple similar combinations including force such as sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/Fls) i get;
    NTFS signature is missing. Failed to startup volume. Failed to mount '/dev/sda1'. The device '/dev/sda1' doesn't have a valid NTFS. Maybe you selected the wrong device? Or the whole disk instead of a partition

I would appreciate any help you can give a Linux and Knoppix beginner. Thanks ina dvance.

Hi and Welcome !

Knoppix loads up showing sda1 (inmounted) sda2 (icon shows as mounted but I can't view files) sda3 (unmounted), sdb1 (mounted) and sr0 (unmounted) on the desktop. I am running knoppix 5.1 from USB.
    Post the output of df -h command here.

Have you tried same Hard disk with Windows OS? Does Windows OS recognize NTFS Partitions?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First