Find the answer to your Linux question:
Apologies if this info has been posted elsewhere I searched but couldn't find it. I'm a former user of Knoppix v5.1.1 and v5.3.1, I've been forced onto v6.2 because ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Help and Configuration for v6.2

Apologies if this info has been posted elsewhere I searched but couldn't find it.
    I'm a former user of Knoppix v5.1.1 and v5.3.1, I've been forced onto v6.2 because older versions won't boot on my new PC.
    There are a number of things I don't much like about this new version, and I'm wondering if I can configure them back to the way I prefer.

Rapid movement of mouse across Desktop can cause a set of small windows to appear it looks like some kind of alternate Desktop feature, can I suppress this feature?

Slow Window Closing - a fancy feature where the window breaks up into fragments before disappearing. Sorry, but it's just annoying when I'm in a hurry.

No Partition Icons on Desktop. I found the icons when I opened PCMan File Manager, but the partitions then mounted in read-write mode, which I don't necessarily want. In v5 I could click the desktop icons to get read-only access, or click Home button on Taskbar followed by Go > Storage Media to open partitions for writing to.

There seems to be no General Help, I can only find help for individual apps.

Sorry if I sound a bit grumpy, there are some things I like as well

you may want to try booting with the following options:
    Code:
    knoppix desktop=kde no3d
    no3d will disable compiz fusion (shattering windows effect).
    the kde desktop used to be the default desktop environment before version 6.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leppie View Post
    you may want to try booting with the following options:
    Code:
    knoppix desktop=kde no3d
    no3d will disable compiz fusion (shattering windows effect).
    the kde desktop used to be the default desktop environment before version 6.
    Thanks for your suggestion, but the desktop which loaded was totally different from the one I'm used to, so presumably this is a later version of KDE.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpPleas View Post
    the desktop which loaded was totally different from the one I'm used to, so presumably this is a later version of KDE.
    Yes, Knoppix 5.3.1 used KDE 3.5.9 and Knoppix 6.2.1 uses KDE 4.3.4 which look and work differently in just about every way.
    oz

if you don't like the new kde environment, you could try the gnome one.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leppie View Post
    if you don't like the new kde environment, you could try the gnome one.
    Well, that's something different, I'll have to play with it and see if it's better.

But my main concern is that I seem to have lost control of read/write options. Presumably someone will tell me that I have to type in commands, but I'm not totally comfortable with that, and I want to do it via the GUI as before.

Just Joined!
    OK, I tried cheatcode: knoppix forensic desktop=gnome
    'forensic' is supposed to mount partitions as read-only, but when I typed 'mount' in the Terminal it showed them mounted as rw.

With the help of you guys, I think I can now sort out desktop behaviour to suit myself. It's the read-write options I'm worried about now, and I think it needs a separate thread.

Thanks very much for your help so far.