Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I still have not resolved the problem. 1. Once I connected the external drive (shown as media/sdg1), should I have reused the following code in console to mount it? sudo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I still have not resolved the problem.

1. Once I connected the external drive (shown as media/sdg1), should I have reused the following code in console to mount it?

sudo fdisk -l
    df -h

2. I typed the code which you advised in console and had the following responses

umount /dev/sdf1 ......Seemed OK. No message

mkdir /media/sdf1 ..... Message .....Cannot create directory "/media/sdg1" file exists

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdf1 /media/sdf1 -o defaults,umask=0.....message ....mount: only root can do that
    I tried from boot drive and Knoppix drive without success.

What am I missing/not understanding here?

Regards,

Casanfra

Just Joined!
    Please note that I typed sdg1 not sdf1 into the codes

Regards

Casanfra

Linux Newbie
    mkdir /media/sdf1 ..... Message .....Cannot create directory "/media/sdg1" file exists
    You cannot create a folder (an address) that already exists.

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdf1 /media/sdf1 -o defaults,umask=0.....message ....mount: only root can do that

Only the root, or administrator can mount drives. To become root, type su and then give the root password.

Post the output of this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    df -h
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I followed your advice and can now see the HD drives (shown as sd1, sd5, and sd6)with all their folders and files. I can also copy and paste between them.

I then connected an external HD (IDE) via USB (shown as sdf1 on the desktop). Although I can see all the folders and files on this drive, I cannot write to it. When I try I get a message that the medium is write protected. Do I have to mount this external drive, and if so, how?

My aim is to use the KNOPPIX disk to get access to an old PC which has a corrupted Windows file and copy some of my files to the external HD.

Again, your advise would be appreciated.

regards,

Hi and Welcome !

Did you gain root privileges before trying to access partitions of External disk?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2