Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a PC running Windows XP (Home) with an old version of Nero (V 5.5.10.7). I would appreciate help in making a bootable DVD to use Linux as a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up Creating a bootable DVD for KNOPPIX 6.2

I have a PC running Windows XP (Home) with an old version of Nero (V 5.5.10.7).

I would appreciate help in making a bootable DVD to use Linux as a security option.

I have the following five KNOPPIX V6.2 files on my PC

Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO 3.8GB
    Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO.MD5 1KB
    Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO.MD5.ASC 1KB
    Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO.SHA1 1KB
    Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO.SHA1.ASC 1KB

I do not have much experience so would appreciate some advice on making a bootable DVD.

Regards,

Casanfra

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check this HowTo for the steps needed to properly burn an ISO file to disk as an image:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

It should work for Knoppix or any other distribution. The main thing is to make sure you burn the ISO file to disk as an image and don't make the disk bootable yourself because the ISO burning process does that automatically.

Post back if you have any problems after following the guide.
    oz

Burn Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO 3.8GB file to DVD. Do not create bootable or data disk. Select Burn Image to Disk option in Nero.
    I have used Nero several times and its easy to locate Burn Image to Disk option in Nero Express.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by casanfra View Post
    I have the following five KNOPPIX V6.2 files on my PC

Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO 3.8GB
    Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO.MD5 1KB
    Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO.MD5.ASC 1KB
    Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO.SHA1 1KB
    Knoppixv6.2 1DVD-2010-01-31-en.ISO.SHA1.ASC 1KB
    Note also that the link found down toward the bottom of the first post of the HowTo link above will give you step-by-step instructions for burning your ISO file with almost 2 dozen different burning applications so you should be covered.
    oz

Just Joined!

Lightbulb Problem with Knoppix 6.2

Thanks for the advice.

I burned the large ISO file to a DVD as an Image, as you advised. Do the other four files serve any purpose?

When I booted up using the Knoppix DVD, I got the desktop with the Alpine view and quite a number of Icons. However none of the text ( programme names, file names, folders, utilities etc) appeared in English. All text appeared as groups/lines of little squares, so the whole thing was completely incomprehensible.

Any thoughts as to why this should happen?

regards,

Casanfra

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by casanfra View Post
    I burned the large ISO file to a DVD as an Image, as you advised. Do the other four files serve any purpose?
    The purpose for MD5 and/or SHA1 files is for checking the integrity of the ISO file. It was explained in the HowTo that I posted for you earlier. If you followed the HowTo, you should have already used the MD5 file for this purpose before burning the ISO file.

Check for an option to change the language by using one of the F-keys right before the disk begins to fully boot into the system. It's been a long while since I used Knoppix, but that's the way it used to work if I remember correctly. If that's wrong, perhaps someone will post a correction.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help.

I have now burned a DVD which works.

However, as a newbie to Linux, I am a bit lost.
    When I click on the MY DOCUMENTS folder/ICON, all I see are files to do with Knoppix.
    How to I view and perhaps copy some of my existing "XP" files to an external HDD.

I would appreciate any advice.

regards,

Casanfra

You have to mount Windows OS partitions.
    Open Terminal/Konsole and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    df -h
    Post output here.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.

Just Joined!
    I followed your advice and can now see the HD drives (shown as sd1, sd5, and sd6)with all their folders and files. I can also copy and paste between them.

I then connected an external HD (IDE) via USB (shown as sdf1 on the desktop). Although I can see all the folders and files on this drive, I cannot write to it. When I try I get a message that the medium is write protected. Do I have to mount this external drive, and if so, how?

My aim is to use the KNOPPIX disk to get access to an old PC which has a corrupted Windows file and copy some of my files to the external HD.

Again, your advise would be appreciated.

regards,

Casanfra

It gives full access to root user only but you can enable write access for all users through remounting.

unmount partitions of External disk and mount again.
    Code:
    umount /dev/sdf1
    mkdir /media/sdf1
    mount -t ntfs-3g  /dev/sdf1  /media/sdf1  -o defaults,umask=0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast