Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've successfully managed (with generous help from this forum indeed) to install Damn Small Linux on my granny Toshiba 730CDT. I write in the Knoppix forum because DSL claims ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound configuration in Damn Small Linux

Hello,

I've successfully managed (with generous help from this forum indeed) to install Damn Small Linux on my granny Toshiba 730CDT. I write in the Knoppix forum because DSL claims to be based on some ancient Knoppix version.

The video works fine, also the PCMCIA Network card is recognized and functions properly. I don't care if the modem works (hey, it's 14.4Kbit, wow), but I care for these two things:
    1) Sound: the sound card is not recognized, and that's not a big surprise. After all, DSL comes in 50MB. But, I have no idea from where to start in order to engage the sound card - what drivers should I get from where, where sould I put them in DSL, where and how any sound config files should be edited.
    2) The keyboard: this Toshiba has neither "Windows" key, nor right-side Alt or Ctrl key. So, I can not use the default Latvian (lv) keyboard layouts (gzipped, in /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/lv-latin*) which make use of any traditional compose key, or right-side alteration. Instead, I'd like to install equivalent keyboard layout that uses dead key for altering for special characters. And, also, I need to find a way how to set the compose key to something like "PrtScr" or "Pause" (totally unused buttons on this limited keyboard)

I really hope the forum has some wisdom to deal with these subjects.

Thanks,

Passiday

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I'm no sound guru, but you could start by looking at the ALSA matrix site

The Ubuntu "Comprehensive Sound Problems Solutions Guide" might give a rough idea of how to proceed.

Just Joined!
    Well, the guide can not help much. If I do $ lspci -v", there is no sound card listed. Maybe there is some other way to list all the devices that are visible from the system, so that I can find out if there is any "unrecognized"? Also, the guide says I should find ALSA driver from my sound card, but there is no list of supported cards in the ALSA project page.
    When that Toshiba had Windows98, the sound card was recognized automatically, and from what I read in docs, that chipset emulates Sound Blaster, so that should be fairly standard interface.

So I am still stuck at nowhere.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I don't know if it applies to all Sound Blaster cards, but snd-ca0106 is the module for many of them. You could always give it a try.
    Last edited by impert; 04-21-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: to give full title of module