Find the answer to your Linux question:
This laptop was just TOO cheap to pass up - and I just installed Knoppix on an unused 8GB SD drive from the DVD - all seems to work amazingly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face 6.2.1 on my HP Probook 4510s

This laptop was just TOO cheap to pass up - and I just installed Knoppix on an unused 8GB SD drive from the DVD - all seems to work amazingly well, including the WiFi - and it detected and set up the screen automatically.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole Knoppix-password problem. I know there aren't any passwords, but all the configuration options want a password (like installing packages). I disabled the screensaver. So I guess the simplest fix is to set up a password for user knoppix - or should I set up another user account? My settings always disappear, even in a single session. I assumed installing to a SD would automatically make everything persistent and keep user settings between boots.

I am also running OpenSuSE on the HD, and that has all the tools for system configuration collected together - in Knoppix they're spread out all over the menu system - what do I use to set a password, change/add repositories, etc.?

Thanks!
    Patti

Linux Guru
    For a Knoppix Persistent Flash Install. You may want to look at

* 3. Create a persistent home (PH). A persistent home is a location for saving files and programs. Think of it as a combination of "My Documents" and "Program Files" in Windows (in fact, you could create subdirectories with those functions, or even those names, if you want, but let's worry about that later). If you don't want to partition, just save your PH as a file wherever you like. Click the penguin icon on the toolbar, and click Configure. From there, you can see the links to set up a persistent home, and to save your configuration. Do the PH now picking a non-NTFS location if you save it as a file, or picking a partition to be reformatted using ext3 (e.g., I used my whole hdb5 partition, but I could have saved it as a file in that partition if I had existing data, or if I didn't want it reformatted), log off and restart. From now on, you will add a cheatcode to get Knoppix to recognize that home (in my case, home=/dev/hdb5 or home=scan).
    from

Basic Poor Mans - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

Just Joined!
    I saw these - but it seems Knoppix has been evolving rapidly - now there's a "flash drive creation tool" in the Live CD/DVD that you can choose that sets up everything for you on a flash drive. I'm using my SD drive as another hard drive on my system and installed to that using the tool. When it boots, it says there's no persistent file on the boot drive, and asks for a size to create one. I tell it a size but it still doesn't seem to create a persistent (settings) file. Don't know if I've stumbled across a bug or if I'm just doing something wrong.

I guess I'm kind of slow... I'll try those instructions, but since it's obviously looking (during boot) for a file, the author(s) must have some definite structure in mind. Thanks!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK, got it - after using the Flash Drive Install Tool - when you boot, you specify a file size (without units, that is, no "MB" after) then it asks if you want to encrypt the persistent file...

Linux Guru
    Glad you got it sorted. What I did after figuring out persistent usb was to

Yet Another Technology Site: AntiX 8.5 Persistent Flash Drive.

Maybe you can give some small steps for future Knoppix users so they can refer to your thread on how to do this. Just a thought is all. Happy trails, Rok

Just Joined!
    Well, now, here's a question... Where do the programs I install go? In that encrypted file or on the Knoppix part, or in what's left over? I have it installed on an 8GB flash drive - not big enough for much. I'd like the persistent file to only store configurations (it's only 2GB). There are some cool programs for Debian - but this is a lappie so I need good HW detection. Maybe I should do a HD install after all...

Linux Guru
    Where do the programs I install go?
    I would assume they go to the persistent home file you made. The way my AntiX live persistent Usb Is made is the live Iso sits on the first Ext2 partition where if I only had that on the USB. AntiX would boot up like a virgin every time. The second partition on my USB is labled /data. That is where my changes go. That is what gives me a different desktop, if I install latest java the changes go there to.

You can do a

fdisk -l
    to look at the partition structure of your usb drive and see the final results of your efforts.

Just Joined!
    So I guess Knoppix fools Debian into thinking there's a normal directory structure - I was hoping that exectuables, libraries, etc. went into the "/" file system, and only personal settings were stored in the persistent file - otherwise, all those files will fill up the persistent file really fast!

Linux Guru
    went into the "/" file system, and only personal settings were stored
    I made that mistake thinking that also. I found out once when the /data partition got corrupted and I booted up my flash drive and saw a "can't mount /home, ignoring"

Finished booting up and saw a virgin AntiX with no wallpaper or conky changes.
    I had to open Gparted and fix the /data partition. I ended up editing /etc/fstab to noatime
    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 ext2 auto,users,exec,noatime,errors=remount-ro 1 2
    Because the drive was being written to over and over again till it was full. That was why I got the boot error saying /home would not mount.