Find the answer to your Linux question:
On booting, the PC (running Windows XP) displays a blue screen saying "inaccessible_boot_device". If I create a Knoppix CD, is the testdisk program on it capable of fixing this type ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Can testdisk on knoppix fix a Windows XP PC drive?

On booting, the PC (running Windows XP) displays a blue screen saying "inaccessible_boot_device".

If I create a Knoppix CD, is the testdisk program on it capable of fixing this type of problem? (or does it only fix Linux booting problems?)

Although the drive may be bad or going bad, I'm hoping that rewriting the sectors involved in booting may help, at least temporarily.

Is there a better tool for dealing with this kind of (Windows) problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and Welcome !

testdisk is available in PartedMagic LiveCD/USB too. testdisk recovers Partition Table and it doesn't matter if partitions have Linux or Windows based filesystem.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your quick reply.

Is there a way of knowing if "inaccessible_boot_device" indicates a problem with the partition table -- or with some other part of the disk?

I.e., is "inaccessible_boot_device" something that testdisk can fix?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    This message appear if you put Windows OS Hard disk in different Motherboard.
    Could you post complete error message or a few lines that appear before error message?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    The hard disk was not changed. The computer was working fine until this happened.

The Knoppix CD doesn't boot. The initial splash screen appears (with the penguin), but then the screen goes blank. Don't know if the CD is bad, or if it's something else. Will soon try a different boot CD (perhaps SystemRescueCD).

Below are the blue screen details:

***STOP:0x0000007B(0x89050D90,0xC0000006,0x0000000 00,0x00000000)

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for more information on troubleshooting stop errors.

Linux User
    Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.
    Have you done so yet ? (you will need a MS XP cd and boot into the recovery console)

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip on using the recovery console.

Upon entering the recovery console, this prompt appears:

C:\> (not c:\winnt)

(I was wrong about this being an XP system, it's Windows 2000 Pro. Sorry.)

After typing DIR, this message appears:

"An error occurred during directory enumeration."

which suggests to me that the file system is gone, or that the disk is bad.

Any ideas?

P.S. The computer is 1500 miles away. I'm trying to help fix it by phone -- so some of the messages relayed to me may not be exactly correct (but they're close).

Linux User

Just Joined!
    CHKDSK (run from the recovery console) fixed the problem.

Thanks very much!

In case someone else encounters this problem, here's more info that may be of help.

1. The directions on the "inaccessible_boot_device" blue screen did not apply to this case. I.e., it's not possible to run CHKDSK /F, because Windows won't boot at all, not even in Safe mode. It's necessary to run CHKDSK from the recovery console -- using /P or /R, (/F is not supported within the recovery console).

2. Once in the recovery console, upon seeing the "directory enumeration" error -- as well as not being able to view any files on the drive -- I initially concluded that it was not possible to run CHKDSK (because I thought the recovery console would not be able to find it). It was only after I realized (along with prodding by Lostfarmer, above) that CHKDSK might either be native to the recovery console, or that it could be loaded from the CD), that I tried running it -- and it fixed the problem. (I used /P first, which fixed the logical problems -- allowing Windows to boot -- and then ran CHKDSK using /R, again from the recovery console, to look for bad sectors (there were none). It's also possible to initiate the /R option on a boot drive from within Windows, which occurs on the next boot.

Thanks again to all for helping with this problem.