Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi there I'm new in Linux I have a window vista but I want to install knoppix 6.2 in a second partition that I make for the bistro so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to install knoppix 6.2 to a hard drive

hi there I'm new in Linux I have a window vista but I want to install knoppix 6.2 in a second partition that I make for the bistro so I want to install the bistro knoppix 6.2 and I try the command knoppix-installer and don't work can same body tell me who to install the system to my partition .

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Is this the HowTo that you followed?

Hd Install HowTo - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

If so, you'll need to provide any error messages you received while attempting the install, or other steps that you took that went wrong so that someone can help you.
    oz

Just to throw this out there... but even the Knoppix documentation mentions that it's really better to just be used as a Live medium...
    The installer can be used, but software updates are always going to have to wait until a new version of Knoppix becomes available, which can take a while.
    It might be easier for you, and more beneficial, to install standard distro... maybe Ubuntu, Mint or Debian proper.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Is there any reason for install Knoppix? It is for Live usage only and Hard disk install is not recommended.
    I would suggest you to check this poll and install distro meant for Hard disk install.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

what bidtro is the best ?

thank uou all for you help but know Im thinking what bistro is the best for my laptop whit a atheros wireless card in a toshiba . so I can istall the bistro whit out problems to conect to the internet .

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by raziell1374 View Post
    what bistro is the best for my laptop
    You'll need to try a few to know which one is best for you and your laptop. The top 5 or so distros listed over at DistroWatch.com are usually a pretty good place to start.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by raziell1374 View Post
    thank uou all for you help but know Im thinking what bistro is the best for my laptop whit a atheros wireless card in a toshiba . so I can istall the bistro whit out problems to conect to the internet .
    If your Atheros is like mine

Code:
    Network:   Card-1 Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI at port 3000 BusID: 02:00.0
               Card-2 Atheros AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter driver ath5k_pci BusID:
    Most 10 ten distros at Distro Watch support this card in their kernel

Do a
    Code:
    lspci -knn
    might have to log into terminal as root to do this. Not familiar with Knoppix.
    To find out your card,chip,and driver.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I, finally, have installed Knoppix 6.2.1 in my hard disk. I had a problem with the Own Knoppix installator because didn't reconigse my hard disk partitions with ext2, ext3 format. I could solve it just leading without format the partition where I wanted to install Knoppix and that's all. After that, Own knoppix installer gave me the option to install Knoppix in this hard disk partition. From that point, all the rest was next, next, ...

I had Knoppix in one of my two laptons from many, many years ago and it is updated up today without any problem, it's very, very stable (it's based on debian). The only problem is, sometimes, with some of the hardware of your lapton. In this case, you have to work hard!!

Anyway, this has been my experience.

Best regards,

Uhuru