Find the answer to your Linux question:
Windows Vista is not booting on my Dell. I've unsuccessfully tried all the repair options available to boot Windows and am now trying to boot with the Knoppix Live CD. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix 6.2 Live CD

Windows Vista is not booting on my Dell. I've unsuccessfully tried all the repair options available to boot Windows and am now trying to boot with the Knoppix Live CD.

The computer is trying to boot from the Live CD, but all that happens is the appearance of two penguins in the upper left hand corner of the screen. The penguins show up quickly after the computer accesses the cd and stay there as if something is stuck. I understand the meaning of the two penguins (dual core processor) but I'm guessing that something is wrong. I am not familiar with Linux, but am guessing that there is a root or home screen that shows up 'post-penguins.'

I'm sorry if this discription is vague, but if anybody has any suggestions I would be very appreciative!

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

You might have some hardware that Linux is having difficulty with. You can try using some of the kernel boot options that are available to you through the keyboard F-keys just before the live disk begins to fully boot:

Cheat Codes - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

Hopefully, using one or more of them will get you past any hangs. If not, you could try disabling some hardware or try booting with another liveCD distribution. I personally use Parted Magic for any troubleshooting efforts.
    oz