Find the answer to your Linux question:
so i did some searching around the web about how to PXE install multiple distros. I noticed that KNOPPIX wasn't in the list, so i started to poke around with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KNOPPIX(feather) install over PXE.

so i did some searching around the web about how to PXE install multiple distros.
    I noticed that KNOPPIX wasn't in the list, so i started to poke around with it.
    Im using Feather(which has very limited, if any support) Linux based on its small footprint.

I have it to where it is able to boot into the Install screen, and it gets to the point where it starts probing the hardware, but then comes to a point where it says:

"Can't find Feather Linux filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit."

as far as i can tell, it may well be something gone wrong or mistyped in one of my TFTP files, but i'm not sure.

my directory structure is this on the TFTP(windows machine):
    c:\tftp\debian\(debian files)
    c:\tftp\feather\isolinux\(feather files)\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX

my txt.cfg is:
    Code:
    label feather
    	menu label ^Feather Install
    	kernel feather/isolinux/linux24
    	append ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=788 xmodule=fbdev 

initrd=feather/isolinux/minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=feather/isolinux/KNOPPIX
    any help would be appreciated.

what are contents of feather linux iso? is root filesystem contained inside of initrd?

most of the time, you need to have filesystem located on NFS share unless it is built into initrd

well, being new to this, i just copied the contents from the cd into a directory, and kinda did the same for the distro as i did for the debian.

everything looks uncompressed except for the minirt24.gz
    the files i have in the c:\tftp\feather\isolinux\ folder are these:

boot.cat
    boot.msg
    f2
    german.kbd
    isolinux.bin
    isolinux.cfg
    KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX
    linux24
    logo.16
    minirt.gz -> minirt24

dont know how much this helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    that file KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, what is it?

most of the same arguments from isolinux.cfg should be used in the txt.cfg file

not quite sure, it comes from the Feather ISO image. located on the CDROM, it's in the root, along with an autorun.bat, autorun.inf and index.html(all autorun stuff for M$).
    ubuntu says it is application/x-shellscript and it is 117.5M(doesnt open with gedit, so i assume its prolly code).

as far as the isolinux.cfg, im using the directives from the debian folder(kinda because they work so far). does the load look at the other files or just take the command from the menu?

this is all very experimental at this point to just see what can and cant be done(i've wanted to be able to boot some versions of linux like puppy, dsl, deli and feather from PXE, but there are no guides that i could find)!

who knows, maybe when all is said and done, i can start writing up some how-to's for a few projects!!!

117.5M for that file

I would guess this contains the root filesystem, you will need to create an NFS share exporting this file

there should be a parameter for using NFS filesystem for root filesystem
    probably need something like
    Code:
    netboot=nfs nfsroot=<your nfs server>:/tftp/feather
    i notice it seems you are using windows for TFTP server, you will need to install the unix services for windows in order to be able to create NFS share, even then i'm not sure it can create one