Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I am using knoppix 6.2 on my Acer 5738 Laptop. I am facing the following problem: With synaptic package manager, once I selected large no. of new applications ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] problem with package managers

Hello All,
    I am using knoppix 6.2 on my Acer 5738 Laptop.

I am facing the following problem:

With synaptic package manager, once I selected large no. of new applications to be installed and it got hanged. Thereafter it synaptic does not start and gives following error message.

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)
    E: Error occurred while processing gnome-power-manager (NewVersion1)
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

apt-get install also gives the same error. Kpackage and gdebi are also giving similar error. Thus non of the package manager is able to do its job due to this error.

Please tell me a wayout as I am not able to install or remove any application.

With kind regards

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Chauhan
    Asstt. Professor
    Physics
    Hindu College
    University of Delhi
    INDIA:

Knoppix is a liveCD
    And while the package manager is functional, the writeable "diskspace" (which is in reality a ramdisk, iirc) is very limited.
    That's why your install fails.

Is it an option for you to install a linux distribution to the harddisc of your laptop?
    If not, which apps do you need?
    There are specialized liveCDs available, for example for forensic, disk/partition jobs or security tasks.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

If you are looking to install Linux to your hard disk, I'd personally recommend something other than Knoppix because it was designed to run from the liveCD, although it is true that people install it to their hard disk with success every day.

A couple of the problems that hard disk installers frequently run into with Knoppix is package and system upgrades. If you like the apt and synaptic package tools, you might want to take a look at Ubuntu, or Debian as alternatives to Knoppix.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Knoppix 6.2 DVD version was successfully installed to my Acer 5738 Laptop's harddisk and everything was working very nicely.

With synaptic package manager, once I selected large no. of new applications to be installed and it got hanged. Thereafter it synaptic does not start and gives following error message.

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)
    E: Error occurred while processing gnome-power-manager (NewVersion1)
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

apt-get install also gives the same error. Kpackage and gdebi are also giving similar error. Thus non of the package manager is able to do its job due to this error.

Please tell me a wayout as I am not able to install or remove any application. How to change the MMap size or Catch Size as shown in error message.

Just Joined!
    I have used ubuntoo, fedora etc. quite often. But I am very much impressed with package integration in knoppix 6.2 DVD version. I would like to debug the above package manager problem without re-installing knoppix 6.2 DVD.

apt-get

I tried doing an upgrade with Synaptic and it errored out constantly. I stopped using the package manager. Also, reloaded OS. I sucessfully upgraded all packages, same errors - but apt-get will continue past them. apt-get update apt-get -s upgrade to run simulated first (if necessary) apt-get upgrade Got another problem now tho. Take care.

oops

Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    I tried doing an upgrade with Synaptic and it errored out constantly. I stopped using the package manager. Also, reloaded OS. I sucessfully upgraded all packages, same errors - but apt-get will continue past them. apt-get update apt-get -s upgrade to run simulated first (if necessary) apt-get upgrade Got another problem now tho. Take care.
    Almost forgot, I am using Knoppix 6.2.1 HD install.

Just Joined!

Found the final Solution

cd /etc/apt/apt.conf.d

vi 90user

change (or add): APT::Cache-Limit "33554432";

After this all package managers are doing well.