Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello guys. I have tried some versions of Linux UBUNTU 10.10,Linux mint , Opensuse 11.3. In these three distro of Linux ubuntu and fedora not run in GUI just run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post will knoppix run in my computer.

hello guys.
    I have tried some versions of Linux UBUNTU 10.10,Linux mint , Opensuse 11.3. In these three distro of Linux ubuntu and fedora not run in GUI just run in terminal. In case of opensuse it start peacefully but after a minute or 2 of start it hangs all input devices keyboard and mouse stop working. I have asked this problem to some persons they say this is due to no graphic card in your PC. it is said that knoppix has less system requirement than others so can i try knoppix.
    My system properties are
    2.67 GHz intel P4 processor
    1 Gb of RAM
    32 bit machine
    and moist of all no graphic card.
    One more thing i want to say you that todays i am running windows 7 in my computer and it is running normally with aero and other visual effects.
    if you say no Knoppix will not run in my PC then which distro should i try.
    thanks to answerers.

When you say no graphics card , I assume you mean you use the motherboard integrated video. Depending on this it could be an intel, nvidia or ATI chipset . I think knoppix should run fine but also should have the other ones. What is your motherboard or computer brand and model?. Also I have had very good results using a Mandriva One live CD, you could try this and if it works you can install it to your hard drive.

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by arespi View Post
    When you say no graphics card , I assume you mean you use the motherboard integrated video. Depending on this it could be an intel, nvidia or ATI chipset . I think knoppix should run fine but also should have the other ones. What is your motherboard or computer brand and model?. Also I have had very good results using a Mandriva One live CD, you could try this and if it works you can install it to your hard drive.

Good luck
    that is Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
    if you want to know about monitor that is Generic PnP Monitor
    mother board information as i know : MotherBoard Version: ZX-I945LM4 Ver: 1.5 BIOS SIZE: 4M Date: 01/15/09
    manufacturer z945c and system model z945c010 I don't think even more information required. If required then tell m

I'm pretty certain that Knoppix will run on those specs but that does not mean it will run on your particular machine. The only real way to find out, is to download it, burn it to disk and take it for a spin
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    will knoppix run in my computer
    Hello and welcome aboard!

Keep in mind that Knoppix is meant to be run as a liveCD and is not really meant to be installed to a hard drive, although it is possible to do so and is done every day:

Hd Install HowTo - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

Those users that do install it to hard drives usually wind up having packages issues at some point down the road. I fully agree with MikeTbob that the best way to find out for certain if it will work on your computer is to download it and try it. Otherwise, I agree with the others that it will probably work.

Have fun with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    does it help or i have to try(only option)
    tell me something about my graphic card. How much MB is this of(graphic card) so that in future i have not to face trouble to know how much MB graphic card am i using
    See better information on graphics of my PC (this may help)
    i type dxdiag in RUN in display tab
    DEVICE
    name Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
    manufacturer Intel Corporation
    Chip type Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
    DAC type Internal
    Approx total memory 251MB
    current display mode 1024*768(32 bit)(60Hz)
    monitor generic PnP Monitor.
    DirectX feature
    direct draw acceleration enabled
    direct 3d acceleration enabled
    APG texture acceleration enabled
    DRIVERS
    main driver igdumd32.dll
    version 8.15.10.1749
    date 7/14/2009
    WHQL logo'd n/a
    DDI version 9EX
    driver model WDDM 1.0

After all i note in lower part saying no problem found
    My Pc can't tell me more than this about graphic card(I think so).
    I use a tool from internet to find out better what's graphic card am i using. see this image(remove spaces in word google )

docs.g o o g l e.com/leaf?id=0B5ZURGN4IHlTYWI1ZmMxOWItZjQwNC00OGVlLWI3M zEtNjdlY2JmODVjNDMx&hl=en_GB&authkey=CP6CwqAF

this is third party software tool.
    Guys now tell why opensuse,ubuntu,linux mint did not work?????????????????
    What you think about xubuntu 11.4 this has RAM requirment of 512 MB only(recommended). but this xubuntu so i am fearing that will it not run like ubuntu.

thanks to all answers

Just Joined!
    I'm just a new linux user and started using knoppix live cd to see how it is working compared to windows and I seem to like it. In my opinion should work also in your computer. The older the computer, the higher the chance that your graphics card is supported. So as MikeTbob say's, download it now, burn and try. Just today I burned knoppix live cd 6.4 and it works fine on my pentium 4, 2.00 Ghz.
    So, just try and see

Just Joined!
    Xubuntu is a UBUNTU 'flavour' to use with older machines. It does not have a big a CPU / RAM ?graphics demand as the graphics intensive Ubuntu, but gives much the same result. For example my old desktop runs OpenSUSE 12.1 with XFCE window system( a lightweight window /desktop manager) while it will not run on OpenSUSE 12.1 with the graphics intensive Gnome or KDE desktops . Xubuntu is similar lightweight for small RAM .

Just Joined!
    I use Xubuntu in an Intel Pentium III 1.00 GHz and it works perfectly! Of course it does not have all the graphics as Ubuntu has but it works! It has less options, for example: 2 desks instead 4.