Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running knoppix 6.4 from the hard drive and i am having a hard time installing flash. First i tried opening terminal and typing, sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree. it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installing flash, no pemission to move files?

I am running knoppix 6.4 from the hard drive and i am having a hard time installing flash. First i tried opening terminal and typing, sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree. it doesnt install flash. so then i try to install chromium because it is suppose to come with flash by default, still a no go. so finally i go to the adobe page and download the .tar.gz. i downloaded it i see it on my desktop, i extract the files i see the plugin i want on the desktop i go to copy it to the directory i want but it says i dont have permission to do this. i did not create any user accounts when i installed knoppix to my machine so it just logs on to the default account which i assume should have root privliages can anyone help me?

Hi and Welcome !

First i tried opening terminal and typing, sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree. it doesnt install flash
    Could you post exact error message here?
    i downloaded it i see it on my desktop, i extract the files i see the plugin i want on the desktop i go to copy it to the directory i want but it says i dont have permission to do this. i did not create any user accounts when i installed knoppix to my machine so it just logs on to the default account which i assume should have root privliages can anyone help me?
    You are correct. You must have root privileges for that. You can gain root privileges with sudo.
    Code:
    sudo cp <source_path_of_plug-in>   <destination>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    Knoppix isn't designed to be installed to a hard drive although it obviously can be done. As indicated at the knoppix site below, there will be difficulties with it if you are not very familiar with Linux:

Hd Install HowTo - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

Also read the link below which explains some of the problems with installing software on a Knoppix hard drive install including permissions problems. One problem is which repositories are you going to use from Debian:

HD Install Warning not to do it - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

Thanks for all your replies!

Well Devil Casper i do not get an error message it just says the latest version is installed but i cant watch youtube videos still. I am going to try the cp command you posted, but i am currently writing an essay so it will have to wait lol.

And after Reading your post yancek i am going to install another distro on my machine. I would like input from both of you for my choice of distro i use. I am running a machine with 512mb or RAM its an hp pavilion 742n, i am looking for something that would set up as a easy to configure ftp server.

Linux Guru
    I would suggest you go to the distrowatch web site. They have a listing of the 100 most popular Linux distributions with some information on them as well as links to each of their web sites where you can get detailed information on each of them.

With 512MB of RAM, you will not be able to run full Desktop versions of Ubuntu, Mint, Opensuse, and others unless you use a lighter Desktop Environment. They come with Gnome or KDE usually and xfce, lxde and several others may work better. Read the the information at the site below for comparisons:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...op_Environment

I just installed ubuntu and it is working fine idk how to check my desktop environment though before it boot it said i didnt have the hardware to run unity i assume thats something to do with my graphics card because it said to choose ubuntu classic but i never had the option and my system is running fine is there anyway to check what desktop environment i am using?

Ubuntu Classic layout uses Gnome 2.x
    You should be able to check it from the System menu on the top panel.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Alright, well it think i got all the use out of this thread so can i suggest putting solve on here idk how it works i am new.