Find the answer to your Linux question:
after successfully installing knoppix 6.7.1 liveCD to the hard drive, when the computer reboots - the word GRUB comes up on the screen, the computer emits a never ending "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB lockup after Install to HDD

after successfully installing knoppix 6.7.1 liveCD to the hard drive, when the computer reboots - the word GRUB comes up on the screen, the computer emits a never ending "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEE...." and nothing happens. no input is possible and the computer is frozen (cannot soft boot with ctrl alt delete)

this is an older pc that used to have windows 2000 on it, it's a pentium 3 w/320mb pc133 ram and a 500gb hard drive - ideas/suggestions?

Hello and Welcome!

Knoppix is primarily meant to be a demonstration and rescue tool. It isn't really designed to be installed to HDD, even though it's possible.
    So I'd suggest installing a different distro.

That said, is this now the only OS on your computer? Do you remember where you installed GRUB?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    yes, i tried to install centos first, but the pc does not have enough RAM for installing most modern distros with a graphical desktop environment. The computer (for the 3rd ave collective - a local anarchist group) had windows 2000 on it when I started, but no one could log is as no one knew the password, and also - the group was really insistent on having non-microsoft product on it. If you know of another distro of linux that just has basic boot up- and web browsing capabilities (youtube, webmails and music)

I followed the prompts during the install process after removing all the partitions on the installer - it made like 3 partitions a linux swap, ext2 and r I think... im certain it said something about installing GRUB to the MBR after the install process was complete - to answer your question.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    im wondering if this could be caused by something simple (ie. anti-virus protection enabled on BIOS??) perhaps - I wont be able to try anything until monday - but perhaps if i have a few things up my sleeve, it wont be a wasted trip at least

run puppy linunx perhaps this is also a mainly live cd distro but it is very well rounded to except i dont like the package manager. i dont know the newest release but lucid puppy 5.2 was pretty good and really cant you just use the live cd of knoppix mount the hdd and write files to that? i only have a little experince with knoppix so idk if thats possible also i think knoppix 6.7 is a heavier duty knoppix maybe try 6.5? i liked that version the best.

For limited resources on a computer, you might be interested in antiX or Mepis.
    Puppy is another good option for you.

All of them are full featured, and designed to run well on computers that might be a little lacking in pure horsepower.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Red face

thanks - ill bring these few distros along with me as well as double check the virus protection in the CMOS is not enabled (which would also screw up GRUB i think...)

from what i read on a google search, it appears that the older BIOS (pre 2005) dont support boot record or basic OS files being further than a certain sector on the hard drive (ie. large drives like 80gig). The boot information ends up in an area that the BIOS does not support, and causes a lock up. So a BIOS update might aslo be appropriate to get around this, but I would have to go find out the specifics about that computer to be able to do that.

thanks for the suggestions/help xxo <3

Even if it's an older BIOS, you can get around that by just ensuring that you install a bootloader, like GRUB, in the first section of the HD.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Linux Guru
    Whichever distro you decide to install you should have an option to install the Grub bootloader to the master boot record and, as suggested above, if this is to be the only OS you will need to do so to be able to boot.

A continuous beep may be caused by a number of things. Some are if the keyboard or other parts got wet, there is a lot of dust inside or some chip (often RAM) is not seated properly. If you don't have success re-installing you may need to open the box and clean it.

I think the biggest problem will be the lack of RAM. I have an old computer which originally had W2K on it and I have installed currrent full releases of Linux on it and they work becaue I have 2GB of RAM. Simplest thing to do is to test any CD before trying to install. If it works on the Live CD, it should work when installed.

In addition to the operating systems suggested above, you might look up Slitaz as a possibility or just google installing Linux on older computers.

Just Joined!

fixed...

I ended up deciding on anitX, mainly because it was being installed on an anarchist collective computer so, it seemed to be a good fit for the environment. Also, I think that because CentOS LiveCD would lock up while running for prolonged periods, and the constant failure to install may have had something to do with the OS attempting to write to memory that didn't exist... because once I ran LiveCDs that the computer met the memory requirements, the problems went away.

antiX is installed and running very smoothly now since mid November. Thanks for the help everyone (o:

~Karen~
    Last edited by karenmcd; 01-09-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling errors