Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I open USBView, the following error appears: Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb devices Verifiy that you have USB compiled into your kernel, have the USB core modules loaded, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Knoppix VMware Player USB Mount

When I open USBView, the following error appears:

Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb devices

Verifiy that you have USB compiled into your kernel, have the USB core modules loaded, and have the usbdevfs filesystem mounted.

I have found several forums that show solutions, but I don't understand everything. I tried mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb, however it shows mount: only root can do that. I searched for a solution and found that you can change the mount to user. So I tried chmod +s /bin/mount and chmod +s /bin/umount, however both give back the following error message:

chmod: changing permissions of '/bin/mount': Operation not permitted

I need to mount the usb in order to save a file to it from the VMware Player and opening it in my main operating system. I have seen people post stuff about adding code to the fstab file, however, I don't understand how and where to add these lines. I have never used Linux before, only reason I am using Linux right now is for Operating System I at Metro Community College.

Thanks for everyones help on this.

In order to change permissions of a file, folder or the like if they already have root privileges is to be a root user and then change the permissions to allow anyone else to use them. The below code should mount just fine:

Code:
    sudo mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"