Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Windows 7 computer is set up to boot by way of the following sequence: USB, CD/DVD, HDD. I have Knoppix V 7.0 installed on a 14GB USB stick. Boots ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Correct way to exit and restart Knoppix on USB Stick

My Windows 7 computer is set up to boot by way of the following sequence: USB, CD/DVD, HDD.

I have Knoppix V 7.0 installed on a 14GB USB stick. Boots up just fine. After I am through using the program I want to exit it, remove the USB stick and do a Windows restart. Frankly, my current way is to select reboot, try and time it so I remove the stick before I go back into Knoppix. There is no message saying "remove flash drive" or any other alerts.

I do the same thing when using the CD version. Seems to me there has to be a more efficient or proper way to do this.

I really need advice on a proper protocol to use when switching between Windows and Knoppix.

Thanks,
    Roger

Linux Guru
    Do you have an actual install of Knoppix to the flash drive or is it a 'Live CD' on the flash drive?
    If you have an actual install, you would not expect to see any message but would wait to remove the flash when it reboots and you see the BIOS screen.

Just Joined!

Live CD or Install

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Do you have an actual install of Knoppix to the flash drive or is it a 'Live CD' on the flash drive?
    If you have an actual install, you would not expect to see any message but would wait to remove the flash when it reboots and you see the BIOS screen.
    It must be a live CD because I can boot from it. I installed it from the Knoppix CD because it is supposed to run better from a USB stick than a CD.

Are you saying I am doing it right to simply wait and snatch the USB stick out as soon as I can after exiting Knoppix?

Linux Guru
    When you select to reboot from Knoppix, you should see some message scrolling by on the screen. You should then see an indication like 'no signal' or at least a BIOS screen. This is the best time to remove it, you should have at least 5 seconds on most machines. I have Knoppix on a flash drive and that's what I do and haven't had any problems.