Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know these forums are about Linux but since I am talking about creating a bootable USB flash drive that runs Knoppix, I guess it may apply. At first through ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix - how reliable is it for disk erasing (HDD) compared to DBAN

I know these forums are about Linux but since I am talking about creating a bootable USB flash drive that runs Knoppix, I guess it may apply. At first through Windows or out of it on my laptop, I wanted to make some full disk erasing:

DBAN - failed, PCI sysf error. cannot disable the Media card reader in BIOS, cannot start the program at all..
    HDDerase - considered the best as it can erase even sectors that DBAN cannot - tried to run it from DVD, again does not start properly, I enter A: in MS DOS rather than CD drive.. never been able to run it
    MHDD - I do not even know how this program does it, nowhere explained

I used USB Installer, selected the 600MB iso and installed to make a bootable USB. According to its instructions, I selected Console/Terminal/Shell option from it, typed command to start shredding and then I get like:

shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 125GiB/150GiB 83%
    shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 135GiB/150GiB 85%
    shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 144GiB/150GiB 92%
    shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 149GiB/150GiB 98%

etc, until it reaches pass 101/101, I calculated ETA: 50 Hours

I ran 25 passes and didn't feel like going for more (it had to run 101 times), so then force shut down after the 25th, is this enough? Did I do any good erasing like DBAN or? So far this is the only tool that worked for me.

Or do I still need to do more, try to use DBAn which would be away from Linux related topics but I just wanna know, how good that is what I did compared to other non-Linux tools and such.

Linux Guru
    Shred should be a good solution in most cases. Unless you have top secret info from your country's security service or something of that nature it should be good. Otherwise, aa 16oz hammer would be a good start. The link below gives a brief explanation of how shred works and you should understand why it takes time after reading, if you haven't read that before:

Securely delete files with shred | TechRepublic
    Linux : How to delete file securely

Just Joined!
    Just getting rid of pictures that I do not wanna be retrieved when selling a system to a store, also that means both the picture and the filename that also has information needs to be gone and unretrievable. Thx for the links so should I understand that Knoppix is enough to get rid of pictures and their filename too? Did 25 passes, then power shut down, cause I didn't feel like doing the other 80 passes..