Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I've just installed Knoppix 7 Live and it doesn't recognise pppoeconf (package not installed) I have a wired dsl connrction, for now I'd settle for internet direct through modem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Internet and no pppoeconf

Hi I've just installed Knoppix 7 Live and it doesn't recognise pppoeconf (package not installed) I have a wired dsl connrction, for now I'd settle for internet direct through modem although I'd prefer to use my modem/router. Is there a GUI method to use pppoe connection? Any help, much obliged

Linux Guru
    Have you done an actual install to the hard drive or what is commonly referred to as a poor mans install?
    Do you consider yourself a 'Linux expert'? If not, you might read the link below to the Knoppix page which will explain some of the problems in store for you?

HD Install Warning not to do it - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

Thanks for the fast reply...no I didn't install I'm just using Live version. And I'm a "newbie". Off to the link now

Link didn't help with pppoe

Linux Guru
    Link didn't help with pppoe
    I'm sure it didn't, wasn't meant to. I was trying to find out if you had an actual install and if so, the link explained why that is not a good idea with Knoppix. If you are using a Live version, you do understand that if you find a process which works for you on Knoppix, you will have to either go through the process each time you boot it or never reboot. A Live CD runs in RAM and any changes are lost on reboot.

What have you tried to get the wired connection and what were the specific results, warning or error messages?
    Just re-read your initial post indicating you get 'package not installed' message. The problem is going to be as explained in the above paragraph, you're using a Live system and no changes will be saved.

So can somebody please explain how I get internet access without pppoe?