Find the answer to your Linux question:
Earlier versions of knoppix saved my settings. Version 7 is very good and would be even better if - for example A document I saved on the desktop were still ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix 7 saving my settings

Earlier versions of knoppix saved my settings. Version 7 is very good and would be even better if - for example

A document I saved on the desktop were still there the next time as is the case with earlier versions

setting were preserved

passwords on iceweasel and bookmarks on iceweasel were still there.

I have version 7 on a usb drive so it ought to be possible but at the moment I am having no luck.

I do not mind if I get advice dripping with sarcasm for the newbie. So long as it works

Linux Guru
    It depends upon the method you used to install it to the usb drive. If you used the standard method, installing the full distribution you should be able to do that, save settings. If you used 'dd' command or unetbootin or pendrivelinux or some such software to install, you have a Live CD on the usb which is read-only. You should have an option to set persistence which will also all changes to be saved. So which method did you use?

Just Joined!
    Another solution that might work for you is this: if you have access to another USB memory stick or the hard drive of the computer, create a folder there (make sure you have write permission to the medium). Suppose you call this folder myknoppixhomedir. Before you finish your Knoppix session, open the terminal and type:

$ sudo cp -r .* [0-9,a-z,A-Z]* $1 /disk/myknoppixhomedir

where "disk" is obviously the name that the physical drive in question acquires in your system, which could be something like sda1, etc.

Your configuration files are hidden folders in your own home directory, whose name always starts by a dot (.). Then, next time you open a Knoppix session, go back to that folder in that disk or hard drive, and execute again the same command there. All your files will be copied to your Knoppix home directory, including your configuration files.

Good luck
    Last edited by luiznetto; 10-18-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: mistake