Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everybody! I'm using Knoppix 6.7.1 which comes with the browser Iceweasel 6.0.2 . I can't watch any Youtube because the necessary plugins are missing. When I try to download ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Media plugins in Knoppix 6.7.1

Hello Everybody!

I'm using Knoppix 6.7.1 which comes with the browser Iceweasel 6.0.2. I can't watch any Youtube because the necessary plugins are missing. When I try to download the tarball that supposedly contains the right plugin, I get a message like this:

"doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program"

Somebody somewhere suggested I do

$ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

but the system won't allow me to install any new software, even when Knoppix is installed on the hard drive.

So, is there any way I can watch Youtube videos, etc. while running Knoppix?

I am not new to Linux, and I've used it for many years. This is not the first time I install or use a Linux distro. I don't understand why every time I install Linux, I have to install the flashplugin. Why don't those browsers come already with the plugins installed?

I suppose I have to open the tarball, extract a file which is probably called libflashplayer.so, and place it somewhere in the system, probably a hidden directory in my own home directory. But first I would have to download the tarball. Any ideas? I will be immensely grateful.

Linux Guru
    The flash software is proprietary and manuy Linux distributions do not include proprietary software. The link to the Knoppix site below explains some of the problems you will have with a Knoppix hard drive install the most basic of which is adding new software:

HD Install Warning not to do it - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

The flashplayer.so file usually goes into the /usr/lib directory. With firefox, it is in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins. Look for something similar for iceweasel. Might be a hidden file in your /home/user directory you could use if you only have one user.