Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was running a very old version 6.3 off a usb stick and it was working great. I decided that I needed an update so switched to 7.2. However, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix live cd 7.2 freezing at text logo

I was running a very old version 6.3 off a usb stick and it was working great. I decided that I needed an update so switched to 7.2. However, it freezes at the very beginning where it prints out the "KNOPPIX" logo in text. It freezes in the middle of printing the logo.
    I've got a Lenovo T420 (I5-2520M)

I tried "debug" and it gets stuck at repeating some messages over and over. it was hard to read it scrolling so fast but I think it said:
    kernel: DMAR:[fault reason 02] Present bit in context entry is clear
    kernel: DMAR:[DMA Rearesent bit in context entry is clear
    kernel: DMAR:[DMA Read] Request device [0d:00.0] fault addr
    then repeating

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by eng3; 03-08-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Linux Newbie
    Hello and welcome.

Have you tried any cheat codes? They're manually added to the kernel line just before booting (eg: noacpi turns off acpi). Been a long time but I think hitting F2-F5 will show you those codes and what they mean/do.

Another possibility is burning the iso may have been glitched. Might be the media, and it's usually a good idea to burn at the slowest rate.

Just Joined!
    Was able to get a better look at the error messages. Googled it and tried disabled Intel VT-D in bios and everything worked fine. alternative would be to disabled the intel_iommu parameter.