Find the answer to your Linux question:
Knoppix 7.2.0 works well and I can see and read the files on my Dell Vostro xp fine. However, it does not detect my broadband hub, which the windows xp ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix live CD is not detecting broadband hub

Knoppix 7.2.0 works well and I can see and read the files on my Dell Vostro xp fine. However, it does not detect my broadband hub, which the windows xp system detects fine. Any hints?
    Last edited by ohumphries; 05-02-2014 at 01:17 AM. Reason: left out key word

Linux Engineer
    What do you mean does not detect? What do you mean broadband hub? More details please.

Just Joined!

Knoppix CD does not detect broadband hub

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    What do you mean does not detect? What do you mean broadband hub? More details please.
    I would like to use Linux Knoppix or Lenux Lite to access the internet on my Vostro PC, which currently has a Windows XP OS. The Knoppix live disc works well, except that it does not automatically detect my wireless Netgear broadband hub located in another room. The XP OS on the same computer automatically detects the signal and uses my built-in password without any intervention.
    When I click on the wi-fi symbol in the lower right-hand corner of the Knoppix desktop, the pop-up asks for details about the "wired" or "wireless" connection. I have filled in as many fields as I know how to do, but it still doesn't make the connection.
    Will installing the Linux OS as a dual-boot solve this problem?
    Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    Knoppix is mostly a dated distro at this point. If you're trying a Live CD, I suggest Linux Mint. It will have most of the drivers and software you need.

Linux Guru
    Knoppix is mostly a dated distro at this point
    I'm not sure what you mean by that as it is still being developed and a new version 7.3 was released last month.

Will installing the Linux OS as a dual-boot solve this problem?
    Not likely but possible. I would definitely recommend against installing Knoppix as you seem to be unfamiliar with Linux and the Knoppix site specifically states that a hard drive installation will be problematic for anyone not a 'Linux expert', their words. The explanation is at the site below and if you read it, you will see that it is not the installing which will be problematic but adding new software:

HD Install Warning not to do it - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

If you have xp on this computer, it must be fairly old. You might post some hardware info.

Just Joined!

Thanks for this. It may be that the drivers for the broadband are not in Knoppix. Actually, I was using the Knoppix disc earlier as a recovery disc when I experienced a registry error on the xp software. I have a disc for Linux Lite 1.0.8. I tried beginning a dual-boot installation with the Linus Lite CD, but experienced the same problem of Linux not sensing the broadband connection that is on the computer.
    The modem is fairly new, bought last August at AT&T store. It is a Netgear product.
    The computer is an older one, a Dell Vostro 32-bit. I think I bought it in 2006, but I loaded it with older software from my older Dell. Aside from the registry error, it has functioned very well. It has Eset anti-malware software as well as Microsoft's Security package on it. Whenever I take it out to other wi-fi hotspots, it functions with no problem.
    You mention Mint. Is that the one to use? I would like to install some kind of "beginner" Linux on the xp and use it to access the internet and, meanwhile, to learn more about Linux until I feel comfortable enough to move to a more advanced version.

Just Joined!

By "broadband hub," I mean the Netgear broadband modem, which also accommodates my desktop in the other room. The laptop on which I would like to install a version of Linux as a dual-boot with the Windows xp, is a Dell Vostro 1500.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by ohumphries View Post
    Thanks for this. It may be that the drivers for the broadband are not in Knoppix. Actually, I was using the Knoppix disc earlier as a recovery disc when I experienced a registry error on the xp software. I have a disc for Linux Lite 1.0.8. I tried beginning a dual-boot installation with the Linus Lite CD, but experienced the same problem of Linux not sensing the broadband connection that is on the computer.
    The modem is fairly new, bought last August at AT&T store. It is a Netgear product.
    The computer is an older one, a Dell Vostro 32-bit. I think I bought it in 2006, but I loaded it with older software from my older Dell. Aside from the registry error, it has functioned very well. It has Eset anti-malware software as well as Microsoft's Security package on it. Whenever I take it out to other wi-fi hotspots, it functions with no problem.
    You mention Mint. Is that the one to use? I would like to install some kind of "beginner" Linux on the xp and use it to access the internet and, meanwhile, to learn more about Linux until I feel comfortable enough to move to a more advanced version.
    Linux Mint is a great beginner distro, and it's more useful as a desktop than something like knoppix. I recommend getting Xfce version, as it requires less video processing than other desktop environments offered by Mint.

Just Joined!
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I will get a copy of Mint and see how it goes.