Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am considering Linux for both my next PC and my old PC and after taking a hard look at Debian screenshots, etc. I have decided that it's just not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix as an easy to configure Debian

I am considering Linux for both my next PC and my old PC and after taking a hard look at Debian screenshots, etc. I have decided that it's just not for me because it's too difficult to set up. However, I love what you get once it's set up, esp, the package management system. Would it be a good idea to get a Knoppix CD since this is 100% compatible with Debian, install it to my hard drive, have good hardware detection etc. without having to set it up myself, and then install whatever debian packages I need on top of Knoppix?

Basically the bottom line is that I think Knoppix offers me good defaults so that I only need to custom-configure what I want to custom-configure, and be up and running with what is essentially a Debian system in 20 minutes. Am I correct?

Thanks.

I say go for the Knoppix, but beware this can mess up your hdd

Linux Guru
    Get the Knoppix no matter what you decide. It's cool to have the CD even if you don't install it on the HD. $3.89 with shipping to US from linuxcd.org
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

You might also try Mepis, I'd suggest SimplyMEPIS. It, like knoppix, runs off the CD and is very easy to install. On my Celeron 2.8 Ghz and 512 Mb of RAM, it took 13 minutes!
    All that needed doing was one command to update (as root: apt-get update) and one to setup the sound (again, as root: alsaconfig). Mepis is also Debian based, so it has the nice apt-get sistem, as well as being able to use stuff made for Debian.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

I have INSTALLED both OSs and by far Simply MEPIS is a dream to install and use. I have loaded Knoppix on this machine two weeks ago, and still fussing with things on it.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Knew you'd like it. I was astounded by how well Mepis recognized my hardware. Also, it is quite a bit faster than my old distro, Suse. To be truthfull, I have not used Knoppix as an installed distro, just as a live cd. But lately I have started using Mepis for everything.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com