Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok...i have 2 hard drives...a 250 gig and a 40 gig...i have XP on my 250 and im about to install knoppix on my 40...my question is...how should i setup ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual booting with 2 hard drives...

ok...i have 2 hard drives...a 250 gig and a 40 gig...i have XP on my 250 and im about to install knoppix on my 40...my question is...how should i setup the boot loader? use the MBR option...and then when i restart it should let me choose between XP or Knoppix?...thanks for any replies...

As long as you setup the HDs right it SHOULD work.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Linux Engineer
    Install the boot loader on the MBR of the first hard drive, make sure you specify while configuring it that you want to have options for both Linux and Windows and which hard drives they are on and you'll be fine.

Just Joined!
    Alternatively you could set your HD's to Cable Select and wire a switch onto pin 28.

No grub, no lilo, no hassle.

Linux Engineer
    Less hassle typing a few things and installing Lilo then popping the box open, switching the jumpers around if needed, and installing and mounting a switch!

Though popping open the box is more fun... I have an old computer at home that you turn on by crossing two wires
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Newbie
    Here's how I do it: I have a Biostar KT600 mobo which has a menu when I press F9 at boot time. So I installed on HDD 1 master Win2k3 and on HDD2 slave Knoppix3.7. When I wanna boot in Knoppix I just press F9 and select HDD2 and I have Knoppix.

well you place grub or lilo into the mbr on the first hdd whict should be the winxp hdd
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    well you place grub or lilo into the mbr on the first hdd whict should be the winxp hdd
    Nope. LILO is on MBR of HDD2. I installed Knoppix on HDD2 (slave) without HDD1(master) plugged in.