Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to remaster my knoppix cd (one that works ok except this one issue) so that I have a custom password for root and knoppix. My first thought was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remastering password woes

I'm trying to remaster my knoppix cd (one that works ok except this one issue) so that I have a custom password for root and knoppix. My first thought was that all I'd have to do is while I was chrooted just do passwd root and passwd knoppix but they aren't being saved. When I make the iso and boot from it the kde greeter pops up and when I put in my passwords it says they are invalid. Now if I drop to a shell then change the password and then startup kde again it works fine. If anyone has run into this and knows the cause I'd greatly appreaciate some help. Currently I've setup a script to copy my /etc/shadow file over top of what ever one happens to be there during boot and I'm recompressing (should be able to test it in 4-5 hours) but I would rather not have to use this method.

After chrooting in and doing the passwd are you recompressing the iso and then burning?

Just Joined!
    Yep. It looks like copying the shadow file method works but I feel that's more of a hack and I'd rather figure out how the passwords are getting set.