Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I have kernel 2.4.22-xfs and i want to update it kernel 2.6.version. Which 2.6 kernel will work best/most securest for knopix and where can i download it. Also ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

changing kernel help

Hi all.

I have kernel 2.4.22-xfs and i want to update it kernel 2.6.version.

Which 2.6 kernel will work best/most securest for knopix and where can i download it. Also when i download it what will i need to do to compile it? Thanks a bunch

http://kernel.org will get you the source as well as info on the Linux kernel. Alternatively if you are running Knoppix =/>3.6 you should already have a 2.6 kernel. (knoppix26/linux26)
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Just Joined!
    Ok i have downloaded then new 2.6.10 kernel from kernel.org, i've done a bit of background reading into this but id appreciate it if you'd just confirm im doing things correctly.

First of all i will extract the new kernel in the /usr/src directory

i will then cd into the new linux-2.6.10 directory
    i will then do the following

make xconfig (or maybe make oldconfig depending if i can find my old .config file)
    make dep
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install

then i'll copy the new image file from /arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot
    and also copy the System.map file to /boot

Once i've done that i'll then edit my grub.conf file to boot the new kernel image instead of the old image.

1. Does this look correct up to here?
    2. How do i remove my old kernel?
    3. will grub require a new /boot/initrd.gz file to boot or can i use my old one?

Thanks for any help

Just Joined!

Dated!

The new 2.6 kernel series doesn't use make dep, and there are easier ways of doing it. Briefly
    Code:
    # cd /usr/src
    # tar xvfj linux-2.6.10.tar.bz2
    # cd linux-2.6.10
    # make mrproper
    # make menuconfig
    # make
    # make modules modules_install install
    Check out the README file in the tarball.

Linux Engineer
    Actually utisoft most of your last step is unneeded. You can use just 'make modules_install'. The modules are built in the 'make' step. The 'make install' is only used with Lilo, and if you do that you should edit the makefile to ensure it suits your lilo install, but it's better to just install by it hand. Also, updating from 2.4 to 2.6 you will need the new module tools, which you can find from here.

Just Joined!
    I would just run 3.6 or 3.7. I rather like cluster 3.6 but there is not an openmossix kernel for 2.6 yet so well at boot of 3.6 type linux26 and there you go. As for security well... if you are running off of a cd or even better str8 out of ram. What is going to happen? Knoppix is built in security in that the worst thing that you would have to do is hit the reset button.
    --Jeff--