Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've mentioned this in the Mandrake forum previously, but I'm hoping if someone in this forum can tell me once and for all if a faulty disk is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unable to install Knoppix 3.7

Hi all,

I've mentioned this in the Mandrake forum previously, but I'm hoping if someone in this forum can tell me once and for all if a faulty disk is to blame.

I got a copy of Knoppix 3.7 with a PC magazine and it says you can install it, just hold down control-alt & F3 and type 'knoppix-installer' and follow the wizard. All goes well until the stage to format the chosen partition arrives and then this message appears;

error:formatting of failed.some messages from mkfs.ext3:usage:mkfs.ext3 [-c: -t -l
    filemane] [-b block-size] [-f fragment -size] [ -i bytes -per node] [-m reserved -blocks -percentage] [o creator -os] [-g blocks per group] [-l volume -label] [-m last mounted directory] [-o feature [,...] ] [-r fs-revision] [-r raid_opts] [-q vSV] device [blocks count]

There is very little support on the Knoppix website (that I can find) but those in the Mnadrake forum and the IRC reckon the disk is faulty. Can anyone familiar with Knoppix advise me before I give this up?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Linux Newbie
    when in knoppix 3.7, open a terminal and become super user (su)

when super user type:

Code:
    qtparted
    you may want to try to format there. I dont know the knoppix wizard but this will format that partition. Hope thsi helps
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Try running Knoppix as a live cd (leave in the CD and reboot) and mounting the various partitions. If you can read and write to the partitions (to write you will have to access them through the root console), then the disk should be OK.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Hi guys,

I got the installer to run through SU, all I need to know now is how I boot up Knoppix from the hard drive. I want to add it to the Mandrake LiLo bootmanager, it lists the drive but asks for a kernel image but doesn't offer one for Knoppix in the drop-down. What should I enter or try next?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Just Joined!

vmlinuz

Have a look for a file on the Knoppix partition called vmlinuz or vmlinux, it'll probably be in the /boot directory

Hi all,

I have the LiLo issue sorted but now I'm not getting any sound in Knoppix. Actually, I never got sound, even when booting from the CD. How do I go about configuring it?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland