Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Update: I re-installed 3.7 back to the hard drive and I'll run 3.9 off the CD for now. Wait and see what 4.0 brings.......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Update:

I re-installed 3.7 back to the hard drive and I'll run 3.9 off the CD for now. Wait and see what 4.0 brings....
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but it seemed pointless to spawn a new one.
    I'm having the sound module problem with the knoppix 4.0.2CD version. Works fine in one PC, but the modules are missing on the other. I even tried swapping soundcards. No luck.

The most notable difference is the PC with the nonworking sound modules is an Abit BP6 with 2xCeleron 466. Does knoppix come with multiple kernels, ie unipro, SMP etc? I'm just wondering if the kernel is the problem

How many sound cards in your machine? My sound problem was related to an old on-board card,still functional. The only solution I came up with was to plug a spare set of speakers into the old card,both Linux and Windows can only use one card at the time meaning the other is ignored.

Also, I found that you are better off not to install Knoppix to your hard-drive as not all the features install,it runs better as a live disk.

Just Joined!
    I honestly wasn't even expecting a reply. I'll give a little more info. The PC that everything works right on is an AMD Duron 1GHz. It has built in sound (disabled because it was subpar) and a Vibra128 as the active soundcard. Both live install and proper debian install work fine.

The PC with the vanished sound is using the live CD right now. I was going to try a debian style install if I can find enough hard drives. I only have small spares.

The first soundcard I tried was an AWE64 ISA. Never had any problems with it in linux (RedHat 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, 9.x) even on the dual celeron (the troublesome PC).
    I don't even remeber what the current card I shoved in is. I have a lot of spares.

The following is a longshot based on an uneducated guess. How does it sound?;

I'm guessing that the knoppix hardware detection looks in all the common places for the soundcards. If it can't find them it doesn't bother with the kernel module to save space. Then because the module was never deemed fit for running, all subsequent attempts of detection fail.
    I say 'the common places' because the motherboard is a bit odd. IIRC it has 127 IRQs instead of the standard 15.
    I used to have troubles playing dos games because the IRQ would be automatically configured to some high value that the software didn't support. Could this be the same sort of problem manifesting itself? Ie. The HW mapped IRQ is out of range for the kernel's autoconfiguration?

One other thing that may not be relevent. Any live CD (Knoppix 3.6?, DSL) with a 2.2 kernal doesn't boot.
    Knoppix 4 is a 2.4 kernal so...yeah. It probably doesn't apply

I'm not too good with compliling Linux at this point, although my Avatar reads 'Linux User' I'm still a newbie. What I have found with Knoppix, Debian Sarge, Xantros and others is that the OS will often look at your old sound card and once it does, it won't be told to look elsewhere on the machine.
    I'm not able to disable my old sound card, there's no option in the BIOS but in my case, both cards work, just one better than the other.

I'm not sure what to suggest, did you try running alsaconfig?

Just Joined!
    alsaconf can't find any PnP or PCI soundcards. When I tell it to look for the legacy cards and choose only the most common configurations it can't find anything. When I choose all combinations it just seems to sit forever on the detection for the first type of soundcard. It's using CPU time so it's doing something. I just don't know if it's doing anything useful.

Given the extra IRQs i would expect it to take longer, but it never seems to move on at all.

You don't at least have a onboard enable/disable jumper on your motherboard for your sound then?

Although I'm no longer running Knoppix from my hard drive as I changed to Kanotix some time ago, I though it would be fitting as my 300th post to tell you all how I resolved this sound issue as it oocured in Kanotix as well. Also,of all the posting I've done on this forum this got the most views (I think) so here's how I fixed the sound;

My machine has 2 sound cards,one on the motherboard,the other is PCI. I was told you can 'poke around' in the BIOS so long as you're careful making any changes but also you can make changes provided you remember exactly what you changed and how you accessed that part of your BIOS. So after a bit of 'poking around' I found what looked like the on-board sound card (listed as an 'Audio Chip'). I disabled it and re-booted, now the only card picked up is the PCI.

I also now know I can mount my missing drives in the /mnt/ folder of my home directory but I'd need to do that on every boot up.But as I say,I switched to Kanotix and the mounting issue doesn't exist in that distro.

Martin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2